• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Leave hogs in woods on WMA?

This is off topic. If your worried about the meat being tainted with piggy taste, do what we do. Dress them and fry a piece of fat off the hog and smell it, taste it. I've eaten 200 plus pound boars taste like they came from the grocery store, but the absolute worst one was 2 pigs about 25 pounds. Couldn't stay in the house with them cooking.

Shot 2 weekend before last. Both got butchered. (Both over 100#. Leftover pulled pork sammich for lunch. Yum) Since then landowner has shot 20+. 5 got butchered. The rest are picked clean within 48 hours.
Can't think of anything more destructive to native flora and fauna than wild swine.
I felt obligated in true ODT fashion to not actually answer OPs question.

I can see Farmers killing Hogs that are destroying crops but just to be shooting something it's not hunting that's killing. The least you could do is process it will give it to the homeless shelters. That's much needed, valuable protein for those people. As far as killing groundhogs they should only be killed if they're trying to get under the foundation of your house. Also if they are presenting problems for farm equipment. I don't condone any slaughtering of animals unless there is a damn good reason. I use to but now I see the error of my ways. Senseless killing is never justified. To each his own I reckon.
That's honorable but a poor land management practice. I raise cattle, have fishing ponds and manage our property for the wildlife. If I can get the + on a varmint it's dieing, and a hog is right behind a coyote on my varmint list.

I can see Farmers killing Hogs that are destroying crops but just to be shooting something it's not hunting that's killing. The least you could do is process it will give it to the homeless shelters. That's much needed, valuable protein for those people. As far as killing groundhogs they should only be killed if they're trying to get under the foundation of your house. Also if they are presenting problems for farm equipment. I don't condone any slaughtering of animals unless there is a damn good reason. I use to but now I see the error of my ways. Senseless killing is never justified. To each his own I reckon.
There is no species of swine that is native to the American continents. They do not belong here and should be killed to extinction. If you have the time and the notion to eat them, that is all the better but kill them just the same.

Back
Top Bottom