• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Leaving my gun in my car. Advice needed.

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
I work at Piedmont hospital. Veeeery antifirearm environment. This being the case I leave my carry pistol in my vehicle locked in the glovebox. The problem? Georgia Heat. When I leave work and put my holster back on my weapon is hot to the touch. SOmedays it's hot enough to irritate my skin for a while. Is this harmful?? I'm more worried about the rounds than the firearm. I know it's not going to reach a temperature that will damage the firearm, but a loaded gun in a hotbox just seems like a stupid idea. What would you do? Should I just bring in my ammo and keep it cool? haha. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I work at Piedmont hospital. Veeeery antifirearm environment. This being the case I leave my carry pistol in my vehicle locked in the glovebox. The problem? Georgia Heat. When I leave work and put my holster back on my weapon is hot to the touch. SOmedays it's hot enough to irritate my skin for a while. Is this harmful?? I'm more worried about the rounds than the firearm. I know it's not going to reach a temperature that will damage the firearm, but a loaded gun in a hotbox just seems like a stupid idea. What would you do? Should I just bring in my ammo and keep it cool? haha. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cant you park in the parking garage there? Heck i pack when im in scrubs.....

Get a small Pelican that will fit under your seat. Cut the foam so that it sits in the center depth of the case. That should insulate it enough where its not too hot to handle when you saddle up.
This is great advice. Don't forget to lock it to the seat though, I can't stand it when people put a gun in the hands of a thief.

I used steel Bull Dog underseat safes in my vehicles. They come with a frame that can be bolted to the floor as well as a cable that can be run around seat frames and secured when the safe is locked.

Leave the car running with the AC on.
Funny.jpg

Under the seat will be cooler than in the glove box especially when the upper part of the glove box is attached to the dashboard, which is baking in the sun .

I suggest that you lock the weapon with a vinyl coated steel cable and a padlock (which can be a factory made thing known as a bicycle lock) and stick it under your seat.
Wrrap the cable around one of the seat posts or the bar that you use for sliding the seat forward and back.

Back
Top Bottom