• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lee Auto-Prime

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
I HAVE THE OLD ONE AND IT IS WEARING OUT! I have a complete set of their shell holders, but the actual mechanism (the plastic body) is wearing out and causing intermittent jams.

Everything I read about the new one is laced with words like "disappointment" and "failure"!
Well, I also saw a lot of curse words too. I did a search here and all that I found a similar thread from 2103! HELP! I looked on e-bay and am reluctant to "buy someone else's problem"

There has to be something out there that actually works, AND is affordable!

Advice solicited!

I've retired two of the old Lee units. I had one set up for large, and one for small. But I eventually became dissatisfied with how they were seating the primers; sometimes not all the way down, and inconsistently. May have been wear; they'd done many thousands by that point.

I got the RCBS hand primer. Much, much more of a PITA to set up than the Lee. However, it's utterly consistent in seating depth.

Some of the new Lee stuff (at least the powder thrower) is not nearly the quality of days gone by. It was a bargain in 2002... not today. It's still inexpensive, but now it doesn't work very well. I managed to patch up the old one with parts from the new one.

I'm in the market for a hand primer. Like you I found either to get an older unit or the latest Frankford Arsenal unit. Next visit to cabelas or amazon order I'll get the FA setup. My recent purchases from them have been very positive. Similar to Harbor Freight they seem to be moving away from "cheap junk" and into "solid bang for the buck" products.

I've retired two of the old Lee units. I had one set up for large, and one for small. But I eventually became dissatisfied with how they were seating the primers; sometimes not all the way down, and inconsistently. May have been wear; they'd done many thousands by that point.

I got the RCBS hand primer. Much, much more of a PITA to set up than the Lee. However, it's utterly consistent in seating depth.

Some of the new Lee stuff (at least the powder thrower) is not nearly the quality of days gone by. It was a bargain in 2002... not today. It's still inexpensive, but now it doesn't work very well. I managed to patch up the old one with parts from the new one.

Quality of EVERYTHING seems lower today than yesteryear! That and MORE expensive!
As for Lee's powder throwers. I am not sure which one you are talking about. If it is their drum, then I can understand your frustrations!
I only use their auto-disk and have 4 of them. They have proven to be rock solid and the most reliable and accurate powder dispensers I've ever used. They usually throw dead-on, with exceptions being no more than 1/10 Grain. For me, this is more than acceptable for range loads in pistol.

Due to liability concerns, I do not load S/D loads for any of my weapons.

My lee Auto-Prime along with a full set of shell holders cost just under $11 when I bought it back when ... and it has worked well for decades. However, it is beginning to give me too many problems and needs to retire!

As far as the RCBS Primer Tool ... There is a wide margin of customer satisfaction with their product. Too many for me to risk even trying. I am hoping to get one from somebody that has 100% 5-star ratings!

As always, I really appreciate your feedback and interest!

I'm in the market for a hand primer. Like you I found either to get an older unit or the latest Frankford Arsenal unit. Next visit to cabelas or amazon order I'll get the FA setup. My recent purchases from them have been very positive. Similar to Harbor Freight they seem to be moving away from "cheap junk" and into "solid bang for the buck" products.

I didn't see the FA Primer Tool on Amazon (?). I agree that Cabelas has really come along in providing value and price. Further, with their free shipping on orders of $50 or more ... Well, I don't have the excuse of a long drive to avoid them!

I have no problems from my new lee ( well it was new about 2 years ago).
I did like the round tray better but as to operation it works as well as the old one for me?
now I have replaced at least 2 if not 3 over the years as they began to do exactly what yours did, not seating the primer deep enough, I looked the mechanism and the rod had worn down from use over the years just enough to cause a slightly high primer.
maybe that was the problem with yours.
anyway that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Back
Top Bottom