Lee Bulge Buster Kit for 45 ACP

Bayou

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
Hi, Guys -

Just an inquiry to see what the members' experiences may be:

Does anyone use a Lee Bulge Buster for processing 45 ACP cases? If so, what's the benefit in performance in doing so?

I already use the Lee Factory Crimp Die and was wondering if there was any additional benefit to using the bulge buster kit for 45 ACP.

Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Bayou

WOW!
you got a 45 acp chambered weapon that is bulging brass??
they don't get much lower operating pressure than the 45 acp.
anyway any type bulging reduces the strength of the brass and removing the bulge works it even further.
Personally I would have the weapon checked by a gunsmith and possibly re-barreled.
hope this helps, none of my weapons bulge brass.

Some barrels support less brass and can enlarge after one or firings. Visibly bulged brass should be tossed.

I use it in 9mm (special modified Mak die-special order), 40 S&W and .45 ACP now to insure no hiccups going from a Glock barrel to a match grade barrel. If I only had one gun in that caliber and only used brass from that barrel wouldn't bother with one.

Thanks, guys.

Actually, my 45s work quite well. I only reload them to a moderate load of 4.9 gr. of 700-X with 230 ball. So, I personally don't get bulged cases.

But, I do pick up a lot of brass at the range, and that stuff has an unknown history. I also use a Dillon case gauge for my 45s, and I've noticed that the vast majority of FL sized brasses fit flush and fall in and out just fine, but every now and then, a brass won't fit completely flush in the case gauge.

No telling where those brasses came from or where they've been, so that's the reason I was thinking about the bulge buster die for those particular cases.

This little Lee Bulge Buster kit is cheap, so I may get one to try it out on those brasses that don't fit flush in the case gauge even after FL sizing. Not much loss if it doesn't pan out............

Thanks, bayou52

LOL, mine sound like mouse poots then. I load 3.5 grains of Win 231 with a 200 gr lead semi wadcutter. Maybe 700 fps. Good for target shooting to 25 yards though with a 13 - 14lb spring.

The 45s that wont pass your gauge is that before you put it through any dies? The first die should resize it.

I size the brasses first, and then run them through the case gauge. It's at this point, where I find a few of them won't fit flush in the case gauge. Not many but a few. The most of them have no issues.

Since the little bulge buster is pretty cheap, as it uses the Factory Crimp Die which I already have, I'll try it and see if it corrects those brasses that don't fit flush.........

I use one on 9mm after having issues with a couple rounds not feeding and jamming up. Fixed that problem quite well, I just want to get an arbor press to start running it with.

After using a ton of range pickups in all the calibers I shoot the only issue I have seen is with 9mm. Never had an issues with 45. That being said the BB kit is cheap and uses a FCD. If you already have the FCD might not be bad to have the kit on hand in case you have a round that fails the plunk test.

Back
Top Bottom