• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lee hand loader

dustinfields

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
9   0
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the lee hand loader? If so what are your thoughts about it, I am talking about the one that does not require mounting

It's best trait is portability. If you're going to be loading in a location with a table or bench that you can attach a press to, the same money would be better spent on the Lee Reloader Press, or a used single stage press of any make.

Even better, save your pennies until you can afford this:

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-classic-cast-turret-press

You can use it as a single stage press, and when you're feeling comfortable, put the auto-indexing rod back in the press and start cranking out ammo in larger batches.

It's best trait is portability. If you're going to be loading in a location with a table or bench that you can attach a press to, the same money would be better spent on the Lee Reloader Press, or a used single stage press of any make.

You can use it as a single stage press, and when you're feeling comfortable, put the auto-indexing rod back in the press and start cranking out ammo in larger batches.
Lee press is the way to go to go! Cheap and effective.

That is sweet! But I'm looking for something I can toss in the range bag or even a bug out bag when I decide to set up a spot for a mounted press

I havent used one in 30 years but I used them a lot and for a lot of different calibers and if I remember correctly they only "neck size" rifle calibers. So they will only be good in bolt action rifles and sometimes only the same rifle you fired the round from previously. Good luck. Start reloading but start & be careful. Very rewarding and theraputic. Get a good manual. Start with a good one because you always go back to your original.

Are you talking about the lee loader? Its the one where you use a rubber mallet to accomplish much of the loading.
Or the Hand Press? Basically a single stage press that is handheld.

I have experience with both, and after taking a 4 year hiatus from reloading have gone back to the hand loader because of limited space.

Lee Loader-
It works well for what it does. It is fairly slow going and requires patience. If you live in an apartment building the neighbors below will get sick of the mallet slamming against the floor/desk, not to mention a significant other will definitely get sick of the noise. I used it for 9 mm and 38 special. A very cheap way to get into reloading.

Lee Hand Press-
After starting with the lee loader I wish I had started with the hand press from the get go. Its much faster, yet not as fast as a turret or progressive. You can use any companies dies on the press, I like using hornady custom grade for rifle calibers. Its a great way to load if you are crunched on money and space.

Back
Top Bottom