• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lee pro 1000 not dispensing powder??

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Having issues with my lee pro 1000( there's a shocker...) This thing has been a bitch to get working right and keep it that way. Loaded about 1000 or so rounds but was loading the other night and the powder hopper position on the press ate the **** out of the mouth of one of my cases. No lingers drops powder, maybe .2gr on the disk that was preciously measuring 3.4 every pull.

Yes hopper is on the right way with disk correctly aligned. Hopper lifts as normal which used to deposit powder. Hopper arm appears to be actuating correctly.

I'm stumped, any guesses? Thinking inside the powder die there may have been something I boogered up?

Stupid question, is the chain still attached that actuates it. They break all the time

Yup. Everything appears to be functioning as normal. Shell plate comes up with case, goes into powder die, mouth lifts hopper to top position, bring arm down and chain pulls hopper arm back to resting position. Case moves to projectile stage. Little to no powder, less than .5. Turn hopper to off position, remove to check disk and powder flow, usual small powder pile on top of disk and appears to be in disk hole as well.

Absolutely stumped. I don't know what goes in between the mouth of the case and hopper that causes release? Is there a valve I am missing or something. Truth be told, if there is something in there that could be crushed/broken by a jackass and an out of spec/past it's prime case that crumpled at the mouth, that would be my best guess...

@Slostang @handloader

How it works.
As the brass enters the expander/powder die, it pushes up on an expander plug. As you reach the top of the press stroke, the expander plug lifts the hopper, moving the disc forward to dump the charge back down the hole and into the case.

You control the amount of case flare by moving the die up (for less flare) or down (for more) case flare.
If the die is too low, the brass gets smashed.
If the die is too high, the disc will not slide far enough forward to dump it's full load down the center of the expander. Is the disc hole completely exposed the the dump hole at the top of the stroke?

A few ideas...

Take the hopper assembly off the die and cycle a load manually and weigh it. Full load?
If not, then it's the disc or hopper.

Take your expander die apart and clean it. Make sure the expander plug slides free inside the die.
Is a chunk of brass is stuck inside the feed tube?

You ate a case, the powder die may be set too low.

Is the hopper rotated to the ON position? The screw that provides tension to keep the hopper in the ON position has been known to loosen and the hopper will turn itself to OFF, being bounced up-and-down.
Take the measure apart and inspect it. Is there anything plugging the outlet hole on the hopper assembly?
Is the case fully entering the die and flaring the case mouth? The die may not be installed down enough.
Just me, but I would install the return spring and throw the chain away.

ck the sliding power measure (with the holes for powder) is it on the lever that slides it or is the lever misaligned?

If everything appears to be working properly, then you have a flow of powder problem out of the hopper. I would start there. Take the hopper off and hold it over something ro catch the powder and turn it to the on position, (does powder flow out freely?) Of it does the go back and check your powder die. To make sure it is free moving properly. ( is the internal funnel moving freely?) If thoose both seem to be free and clear of anything then your having a setting issue. Chances are the chain isn't pulling it back enough to fill the dispenser. As other have suggested ditch the chain and go to a spring feed dispenser.

How it works.
As the brass enters the expander/powder die, it pushes up on an expander plug. As you reach the top of the press stroke, the expander plug lifts the hopper, moving the disc forward to dump the charge back down the hole and into the case.

You control the amount of case flare by moving the die up (for less flare) or down (for more) case flare.
If the die is too low, the brass gets smashed.
If the die is too high, the disc will not slide far enough forward to dump it's full load down the center of the expander. Is the disc hole completely exposed the the dump hole at the top of the stroke?

A few ideas...

Take the hopper assembly off the die and cycle a load manually and weigh it. Full load?
If not, then it's the disc or hopper.

Take your expander die apart and clean it. Make sure the expander plug slides free inside the die.
Is a chunk of brass is stuck inside the feed tube?

You ate a case, the powder die may be set too low.

You sir, are an absolute badass. Thanks for the advice. Took it off an cycled by hand, noticed arm wouldnt fully return to reset psotion. Piece of brass stuck between expander die wall.

Pouring powder reliably now. The ****ty little plastic "gear" below shell plate is blown out again but... Should go quicker this time.

Keep eyeing the Dillon 550 and thinking about how cool it would be to not have to rebuild my press every 1k rounds.

Last edited:
Yes, a Dillion would be nice!

Glad you found the problem.
Breaking the plastic parts may mean that you are powering through the jams. When it feels different/wrong, stop and figure out why.

I've been using a Lee Pro 1000 off and on for about 25 years now. It has a few quirks, but once you learn how to make it sing, it's not a bad little press for pistol calibers.

Back
Top Bottom