• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal Alien Purchasing Firearms?

Jsmit484

Bear Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
138   0
Reaction score
So I've got an odd one for you guys.

I think I've heard of this being possible but I don't know the technicalities involved. But, what steps are required for a legal alien to purchase a firearm(s) or can they without being a US citizen?

Right now the guy is on a work visa, has a permanent residence, and GA driver's license. I don't believe he has a green card yet but I could be mistaken.

Here's what I'm working with. Years ago I took the owner of our company (he's very British) out on a shooting trip to our local range to educate him on firearms and show that American's aren't just running around killing each other with black murder rifles. He absolutely loved it and we've been going for years now. I've even taken other executives from the UK, and his wife and older children.

Him and I have taken all sorts of classes, and he's even purchased corporate membership passes for our state-side employees to use at our local range. Normally when we go I bring a selection of my personal firearms and a few hand fulls of ammo and that's what we use. Now he's gotten to the point that he wants to purchase his own, but is he even legally able to? I believe I read something years back that legal aliens with permanent residences are able to purchase firearms, but again I've got no clue if that's accurate.

Any idea of a direction I can point him in?

Permanent resident aliens and aliens legally admitted to the United States pursuant to either the Visa Waiver Program or to regulations otherwise exempting them from visa requirements may answer "no" to this question and are not required to submit the additional documentation under question 18.c.

Otherwise, must satisfy 18c on the ATF purchase form.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions

Getting a hunting license triggers a common exception to the general rule that forbids non-resident aliens (meaning, temporary visitors who do not hold "green card" status) from possessing guns or ammo.

See this article:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...iens-may-legally-buy-possess-firearms-us/amp/

So from what I’m understanding here is if he’s got a green card, the he’s good and just needs some sort of immigrant number off of it. And, if he doesn’t have one already he can purchase a Ga residence hunting license (he’s had his residence here for close to over two years) he can purchase firearms using it? All he needs to do is document some sort of hunting or sporting activity to keep it valid. If so, that might work. He’s watched me and another coworker shoot IDPA before and I’ve invited him on a few duck hunts. So if he participates, that should probably cover his basis to keep it legal and legit.

Thanks for the help you guys. At least I’ve got some sort of direction to point him in now!

So from what I’m understanding here is if he’s got a green card, the he’s good and just needs some sort of immigrant number off of it. And, if he doesn’t have one already he can purchase a Ga residence hunting license (he’s had his residence here for close to over two years) he can purchase firearms using it? All he needs to do is document some sort of hunting or sporting activity to keep it valid. If so, that might work. He’s watched me and another coworker shoot IDPA before and I’ve invited him on a few duck hunts. So if he participates, that should probably cover his basis to keep it legal and legit.

Thanks for the help you guys. At least I’ve got some sort of direction to point him in now!

When the Navy school was active in Athens, it would regularly have students from foreign governments. First thing they would do is head to Franklins Gun Store to buy guns. They weren't even "residents", they could do it with their orders.

i don't think he is going to be able to purchase a firearm from an FFL with only a hunting license. Anyone can purchase a hunting license including felons, crazy people, drug users, illegal aliens and so on.

Private sale is another matter.

He is going to need some documentation to show that he is legally in the country.

My wife is a LEGAL Resident Alien and has been for many years. She has purchased firearms, and has a GWCL so, the answer is yes, LEGAL Resident Aliens can indeed purchase a firearm legally.

Long story why she has not become a citizen but lets just say she has a sour attitude toward the way they handled her the last time she applied.

When the Navy school was active in Athens, it would regularly have students from foreign governments. First thing they would do is head to Franklins Gun Store to buy guns. They weren't even "residents", they could do it with their orders.

i don't think he is going to be able to purchase a firearm from an FFL with only a hunting license. Anyone can purchase a hunting license including felons, crazy people, drug users, illegal aliens and so on.

Private sale is another matter.

He is going to need some documentation to show that he is legally in the country.
He’s certainly legal, owns a business and has a permanent residence here. I did find out that he doesn’t have a green card yet, but is here on visas from what I gather. I personally wouldn’t sell to him either, and I sure as heck wouldn’t tell him to buy on the private market and risk his status and our business. My coworkers and I rely on him being here! With that said, my whole goal was just to see what process he needs to take to get to the point of purchasing his own legally owned firearms, if at all possible. It sounds like he needs a green card, or there may be a way with a hunting license and participate in shooting sports or go on an occasional hunting trip to keep legal. Who knows, at this point I think I’m just going to tell him to speak with our company lawyer!

Being a Permanent Resident (green card holder), is not the same as having a a visa and having a permanent residence as in a home. He needs to apply for and be granted a green card before he can legally purchase a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom