• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal question about dog ownership

Tactical Beaver

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Hop in, no time to explain...
71   0
Reaction score
Hey all,

So here's the cliff notes on a potential battle I might be facing and seeking some help if anyone is familiar with GA laws and this situation.

My neighbor found a super sweet dog on 400 about a week ago; Tuesday 7/12 to be exact.

I agreed to foster her until the owners can be located, but that doesn't seem likely, especially after a week now.

She's chipped, but the info is coming back to a person out of state, with a number that is disconnected, and an address that doesn't exist.

According to the Vet, she has a UTI right now and some GI issues to work through, but other than that she's perfectly healthy. Just needs to put on about 10-15 lbs. The vet is estimating that she's about 2 years old, boxer/lab mix, and has been on the street for approx.. 4-8 weeks. No worms, heart/lung issues, and is already spade, etc. You can tell she had been taken care of at some point as she is fully house trained and already knows many basic commands.

Needless to say at this point, I want to fully adopt her and know I can give her a great, loving home.

Here's my concerns/facts:

• I have had possession of her from day one and she has been living with me this whole time.
  • Another individual is also involved, but basically just financing this operation.
  • She has her info in her name with a local shelter, but the dog is in my custody.
  • She has her info under her name at her Vet too, getting all the care she needs; vacs etc..
  • She agreed to fund this if I keep her.
  • Here's the problem: she's now starting to show signs that she has legal rights and full control over what happens with this dog and I don't believe that's the case, but I'm not familiar with GA laws on this.
  • How can I legally claim her?
  • What can I do to legally say she's mine?
  • I hope all goes well, but my guts telling me I might have to prepare for a fight over this and want to be prepared.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ya'll.

Don’t know if there is a law,you have possession. Hope you get to keep her

Dude, I hope so too. She's great. If I do, she'll be my 6th rescue in my adult life. My ex-wife has 2, the others have all passed from old age. I'm great with dogs, wasn't looking for another just yet, but she fell into my life and I will fight to keep her if this individual starts going the direction my gut is telling me; hopefully, it's a non issue, I just want to be prepared if it turns into a fight.

Hey all,

So here's the cliff notes on a potential battle I might be facing and seeking some help if anyone is familiar with GA laws and this situation.

My neighbor found a super sweet dog on 400 about a week ago; Tuesday 7/12 to be exact.

I agreed to foster her until the owners can be located, but that doesn't seem likely, especially after a week now.

She's chipped, but the info is coming back to a person out of state, with a number that is disconnected, and an address that doesn't exist.

According to the Vet, she has a UTI right now and some GI issues to work through, but other than that she's perfectly healthy. Just needs to put on about 10-15 lbs. The vet is estimating that she's about 2 years old, boxer/lab mix, and has been on the street for approx.. 4-8 weeks. No worms, heart/lung issues, and is already spade, etc. You can tell she had been taken care of at some point as she is fully house trained and already knows many basic commands.

Needless to say at this point, I want to fully adopt her and know I can give her a great, loving home.

• I have had possession of her from day one and she has been living with me this whole time.
  • Another individual is also involved, but basically just financing this operation.
  • She has her info in her name with a local shelter, but the dog is in my custody.
  • She has her info under her name at her Vet too, getting all the care she needs; vacs etc..
  • Here's the problem: she's now starting to show signs that she has legal rights and full control over what happens with this dog and I don't believe that's the case, but I'm not familiar with GA laws on this.
  • I hope all goes well, but my guts telling me I might have to prepare for a fight over this and want to be prepared.

Thanks ya'll.
You tried to find the owner. You did your part. But remember in the back of your mind if the true owner comes to collect then you have to give it up. That withstanding I doubt that will ever happen. Enjoy your dog.

Hey all,

Thanks ya'll.
cut a check for what they have paid and tell them to pound sand?

Ah I should have read more. You might have an issue if the one paying the vet bills wants it for herself.

She can't have her because of her cats, but has started talking about other's she knows that wants her and she's being super micro managing about the whole situation when I've had possession this entire time. She's one of those people that thinks she knows all, super liberal, and sticks her nose into everything. She offered to pay for all the vet bills, so I've gone along with it, but hope that doesn't bite me in the ass.

She can't have her because of her cats, but has started talking about other's she knows that wants her and she's being super micro managing about the whole situation when I've had possession this entire time. She's one of those people that thinks she knows all, super liberal, and sticks her nose into everything. She offered to pay for all the vet bills, so I've gone along with it, but hope that doesn't bite me in the ass.
Liberals..........

OGC.94bd4506133bfab0c5e75bcbf596362b

Back
Top Bottom