• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal question about potentially opening a store

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
Not a Gun store, well not to sell guns.

I have a retail hobby shop currently and business has been steadily falling off as has been my interest in it and I've gotten into shooting competition. I have a trailer that we take to races and sell parts and accessories (fuel, a-arms, glow plugs, tires, ect) at tracks without hobby shops and big events. My business partner and I have struck this curiosity about doing the same thing with the steel matches and stuff we go to. The range that we shoot steel comps at doesn't sell munition and our first match we almost didn't bring enough ammo and a couple other new guys there had issues as well. We thought about maybe starting to carry some reloading supplies, and ammo in the shop as well and maybe some other things, shot timers, chronos, ect.

My legal question is, would that still require any special licencing or FFL? or would it more or less be the same as we are doing now just though an additional distributor?

Not sure/positive but if your hauling powder I'd think you'd need special permits/license/insurance from the DOT & possibly the Feds too since this is a commercial venture on your part.

Not sure/positive but if your hauling powder I'd think you'd need special permits/license/insurance from the DOT & possibly the Feds too since this is a commercial venture on your part.

there is a weight limit on the amount of powder you can carry, though i don't know what the limit is....ammunition you are going to be limited by the weight you trailer can handle....you do not have to have an ffl to sell ammo, reloading supplies,etc. but you will likely be shocked how small the margins are if you are competitively priced...

there is a weight limit on the amount of powder you can carry, though i don't know what the limit is....ammunition you are going to be limited by the weight you trailer can handle....you do not have to have an ffl to sell ammo, reloading supplies,etc. but you will likely be shocked how small the margins are if you are competitively priced...

I sell R/C stuff and match online pricing.. Trust me when I say that I won't be shocked at the margins :lol: there are some $50 parts I make less than a $1 on and the kits and such that cost upwards of $1000 some of them, you make about a $20 bill. So far in my digging though the distributors all require you to have an FFL as they do have Firearms as well as ammo/accesories

Back
Top Bottom