• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal question for a 20 year old that wants to own a handgun

Tactical Beaver

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Hop in, no time to explain...
70   0
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm pretty familiar with most firearm laws, but I have no idea the legality of this.

I have a 20 yro coworker that moved down here from Michigan and she really wants a 9mm handgun for personal protection to keep in her apartment.

I know that in GA you have to be 18+ to own/possess a pistol, but can't buy one until your 21.

If this is the case, how can she obtain one? She has no family that resides here in GA, just her.

Can someone school me on this?

First, the law:

"Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license." GA. Code 16-11-126(a)

"Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded." GA. Code 16-11-126(c)

"Notwithstanding any other provisions of this part and except as otherwise provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to possess or have under such person's control a handgun." GA. Code 16-11-132(b)

She's good to go.

Here's a checklist:

1. Buy a carrying case and simple locking safe in case she might have company, or maintenance comes in while she's at work. Do this first because of the laws cited above.
2. Buy a gun and ammo from an ODT member (or gun from ODT member and ammo from LGS). Make sure ammo can be obtained -- it seems to be scarce and expensive at the moment.
3. Register for a safety class at a LGS (and attend).
4. Register her car within 30 days.
5. Get a GA driver's license ASAP.
6. Put in a mail forwarding order with the USPS.
7. Make an appointment with the local probate court when her birthday approaches (for the obvious reason).
8. Don't use illegal drugs (the gun will add a second, separate felony).

Don't take my word for it -- I'm just an internet guy. She should do her own research or talk to a lawyer if she has questions.

Is she from Detroit?
Does she retain her Detroit values and morals, and only want to live in the South for economic opportunities without accepting and appreciating the culture and our morals (outside of Atlanta morals, I mean)?

main-qimg-d93afd47890661f5cbcaef4b22f3a0e5

Not a lawyer, but if she’s a GA resident - it’s legal for her to purchase one private party @18. ODT, Facebook:wacko:, etc...

21 from an FFL. I’m sure it gets complicated if she’s not a GA resident.

This, exactly. All of it. Once we know she's a GA resident, and not just a visitor, we can set aside the whole "interstate transfer of firearms, must go through an FFL dealer" stuff.

Then, even without her having a GWL, she's got the right to possess a handgun, even a loaded and ready-to-go one, at her home, her place of business, and in her automobile. If she's riding in somebody else's automobile she'd still be legal if she is "eligible" for a GWL, even if she's never applied for one.

P.S. If she's almost hot, like a 6 or better, I'll take her shooting and talk gun stuff with her over dinner afterward!

IMG_0065.JPG

Fresh Minty, you're referring to a federal law about purchasing from an FFL dealer.
That law doesn't apply to adults 18-20 years old buying a gun from another private person
who is also a resident of the same state.

Back
Top Bottom