• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality of Child in possession of firearm.

I do props work with the armory department occasionally. Blank barrels and rounds are dangerous also. You gotta treat those just like live stuff. Its still a contained explosion, but the barrel is plugged...

Of course. But whether something is dangerous is not the test for if it is a firearm. If it does not have a barrel, it is not expelling a projectile (at least not in the conventional sense). No barrel=not a firearm in GA.

From a safety aspect, putting a blank in a chamber attached to a solid barrel sounds like a Kaboom waiting to happen.
Theres different levels of decommissioning used for different types of camera shots. It gets pretty extensive, and thats not my main department, I'm in construction. But I do get side gigs as an onset gun runner because I can identify firearms and parts.

Only if it has a barrel. The OP said the barrel was welded shut. If that is the case, what is the projectile that is being expelled, and how?

It still expels some sort of projectile that can be dangerous to the wielder or bystanders. And a barrel swap would render it a full functional gun, so it's still a firearm.

It still expels some sort of projectile that can be dangerous to the wielder or bystanders. And a barrel swap would render it a full functional gun, so it's still a firearm.
As I said earlier, dangerousness is not a criterion for being a firearm under GA law. The fact that it can be turned into a firearm also does not make it a firearm. Because it does not presently expel a projectile, it is not a firearm. Now it may emit hot and dangerous gases, but so does a plasma cutter (which also is not a firearm).

Look it up or call the ATF.

The ATF is not going to have any specialized knowledge of what constitutes a firearm under GA law. I did look it up and I referenced and quoted the code section back in Post # 41. But instead of referring in any way to the code section, you just say it is a firearm because it is dangerous and because it can be made into a firearm by modifying it. Neither one of those is a criterion in the definition. It would qualify as a firearm under federal law because it has the frame or receiver of a firearm, but we have been talking about whether it would qualify as a firearm under GA law because the discussion was about whether it would be legal to transfer it to or allow possession by a child (which is a state law issue).

You don't have to get snippy about it, I'm just trying to make sure accurate information is being provided in the forum.

How do you come to that conclusion? GA law defines a firearm as a device that expels a projectile by means of an explosive.

Which Code section contains that definition? It's 16-11-131, the law specifically about convicted felons and currently serving first offender probationers, right?

But that's not what we're talking about in Georgia, here in this thread, are we?
Rather, we are talking about children with a rifle, not a convicted felon with a rifle.

I would not be so confident that a real firearm receiver that could shoot real ammunition if it only had the barrel swapped out or an obstruction removed from the barrel could not possibly be considered a firearm. Ditto for a replica firearm which is nonetheless dangerous due to the risk of being mistaken by the public and perceived as a real firearm.

While our GA gun laws don't set a bright-line minimum age for a child to possess a rifle, depending on the circumstances of the possession and the age and maturity of the child such conduct could run afoul of other Code sections concerning reckless conduct, child endangerment, a child being "deprived" of effective parental supervision.

Back
Top Bottom