• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality of firing a .22 in my back yard

It would be most awesome if I could shoot my .22 in the backyard. Although I shoot my air rifle in the backyard I think that might be illegal. :confused:

Kennesaw municipal code said:
Sec. 34-22. - Use of firearms.

No person shall fire a gun, pistol or other firearm in the city, except in the defense of person or property, and except peace officers or military forces of this state or the United States, in the discharge of official duties.

Kennesaw municipal code said:
Sec. 62-1. - Discharging air rifles or BB guns.

(a)It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge any BB gun or air rifle in the city, except on his own property or the property of another with the consent of the owner, or property of his parent or guardian, if a minor, and then only in such a manner that the projectiles will not be propelled onto adjacent or other property, and that harm will not be done to anyone or to anyone's property.

(b)Parents and guardians will be held responsible for acts of their children 17 years of age and under.

(c)The mayor or chief of police shall have the authority to make special exceptions to this section, as the mayor or chief might deem necessary.

If it's your property, you're not in violation of Kennesaw City, Cobb County, or state laws by safely shooting your air rifle on your property only (Cobb ordinance cited above). The .22 is a no go for you however per city law if you are inside Kennesaw city limits per 34-22.

Last edited:
Cool. I don't live in Kennesaw City limits though so I guess I'm in the same boat as the OP. Its OK. I dont want to shoot in my backyard anyways.

I was kinda curious about the same thing, but if you're using Aguila .22 Super Colibri 20 Grain Solid Point, they don't use gun gun powder and are only 500 FPS.
its still out of a firearm

i think there is a city ordinance here in atlanta that keeps people from using air rifles even

i still shoot my 30 dollar air rifle in my backyard, no complaints yet

its still out of a firearm

i think there is a city ordinance here in atlanta that keeps people from using air rifles even

i still shoot my 30 dollar air rifle in my backyard, no complaints yet

In Atlanta, firing a firearm is only permitted for private citizens in self defense or at a range. Interestingly enough, it is always illegal to fire an air rifle or even a slingshot inside Atlanta... no range exception for those :eek:

Atlanta Municipal Code said:
Sec. 106-303. - Air guns, slingshots, similar weapons.

It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot any air gun, air pistol, slingshot or like instrument or weapon within the limits of the city.

In Atlanta, firing a firearm is only permitted for private citizens in self defense or at a range. Interestingly enough, it is always illegal to fire an air rifle or even a slingshot inside Atlanta... no range exception for those :eek:

They dont want any broke windows! I broke a couple windows as a youngster.

They dont want any broke windows! I broke a couple windows as a youngster.

I did too, but it was with a baseball. My mom wouldn't let us have guns in the house (she's originally from England). The first time she ever fired a gun was last year (same for my sister). Both were terrified of them, both had pretty big smiles at the range :D

I did too, but it was with a baseball. My mom wouldn't let us have guns in the house (she's originally from England). The first time she ever fired a gun was last year (same for my sister). Both were terrified of them, both had pretty big smiles at the range :D

My mom could care less about guns. I broke a couple windows with golf balls as well. My dad was a big golfer and wanted me to play it. I was never into that though. I shoot golf balls insted .

My sister could probably shoot golf balls with a bit of practice... First time either of them shot a gun (sister shooting the Bersa thunder .380 at 5 yards, mom shooting the Ar-15 at 25 yards scoped):
DSC00323.JPG

Back
Top Bottom