• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legality of removing 2 of 4 catalytic converters on truck...

There is no monitor for the oxides of nitrogen. They split the converters to be more efficient, it takes a different reaction metal to catalase hydrocarbons than it does to do oxides of nitrogen.

Unfortunately I live in an emissions county. My truck is throwing a code for catalytic converter insufficiency on one side. So there is an H02 sensor, then a catalytic converter, then the O2 sensor, then a second catalytic converter followed by muffler then end of exhaust.

There is no sensor of any kind after the O2 sensor. Just a second catalytic converter (same for both sides for a total of 4 catalytic converters). Nothing is being done to bypass or fool the emissions system of the truck.

I want to delete the rear two cats, if nothing else to improve mpg and to a lesser extent the performance of the truck, but also to help save money on these expensive parts.

Didn't know if it was legally some sort of issue with removing any kind of the emissions system? Or if having 2 catalytic converters on a single truck would be sufficient for the EPB.
what is the make model of your vehicle and what is the code?

From what Im reading, you need to change the second/downstream O2 sensor.

Think about it. If theres no sensor beyond the 2nd cat that you’re considering removing, how would you be getting a code? There has to be an O2 sensor to get the reading.

As far as removing goes, the emission shops have to check for the presence of a cat. So you’d have to gut your current cat and re-install it. Bad news is, you’d flunk the tailpipe sniffer test (high N2O reading) if they chose to test you (which the computer tells them to do at random).

Second set of cats is to make vehicles 50 state compliant, so thank Cali. It was just cheaper on the assembly line than change production. If it truly is the second set causing the problems you can gut them and reinstall and shouldn’t see any issues as all monitoring is done upstream. Just crossed 140k with the wife’s after having done the same.

What’s the code, P0420 or 430?

I have seen the inspectors in Gwinnett use a mirror to look for the cats, so you run the risk of failing a visual test. Inspector will say that two factory cats are gone thus it has been altered. Personally I wouldn't remove them unless it was exempt or you moved to a non emissions county.

Based on my experience, the second sensor caused an error code so once I changed it, the code didn't reoccur. The cat wasn't the issue.

Simple answer to your question is:

It is a violation of federal law to remove any factory installed emissions controlled device.

Even if is is device you don't require for local use.

Don't take my word for it, try to find a mechanic that will remove them.

It is a violation of federal law to remove any factory installed emissions controlled device.

I believe you, the mere fact that it is a blanket law of utter stupidity completely separate from logic and common sense, is a perfect indicator that it is Federal law.

This ^^^

Not sure how you would ever get caught, maybe if you took it in for dealer service. If you do sell it keep the cats though, since you will have to put it back to factory or be breaking a whole different set of laws.

Back
Top Bottom