• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO deadly force

Chief Flynn hits the nail on the head. When was the last time you saw a cop walking a beat? Well I haven't.....but I have seen them standing around in the Flash Foods convenience store, looking tacticool and trying to impress the 19 year old girl working the midnight shift.

And then we have the brave and intrepid GBI director......
"This is indicative of the level of violence that is directed against law enforcement officers,” says GBI Director Vernon Keenan.
Keenan says part of the problem is an increase in the number of people in psychological crisis who use weapons to confront officers.

Anything to deflect blame away from the obvious growing number of LEO's that have NO BUSINESS in the profession!
Being a cop is a tough job.....I don't think anyone would dispute that. But I have never heard of someone being forced into being a cop, and being one most certainly does not give one a blank check to terrorize and KILL innocent men, women, and children! (not to mention family pets). Chief Flynn's comment speaks to the fact that there is a certain temperment that is required in police work. Patience, clear headed thinking and decision making, superior reasoning and negotiating skills, and the inate ability to maintain a high level of restraint in extremis situations, are only a few of the unique traits and skill sets that a police officer needs to possess. As the study in this article plainly shows, men and women are being hired, trained (such as the training is) and given a badge and a GUN who very clearly DO NOT possess these traits.

But not a week goes by that you don't see/hear/read a story about a LEO violating the rights of ordinary citizens.......like shooting and killing kids with WII controllers!....
http://jonathanturley.org/2014/02/2...-in-hand-police-officer-shots-and-kills-teen/

I think most cops are good guys doing a ****ty, thankless job pretty well. But it is undeniable that there is an alarmingly increasing number of cops who SHOULDN'T BE COPS!!

And it begs the question.......why aren't the good ones busting the bad ones out of the profession?

Chief Flynn hits the nail on the head. When was the last time you saw a cop walking a beat? Well I haven't.....but I have seen them standing around in the Flash Foods convenience store, looking tacticool and trying to impress the 19 year old girl working the midnight shift.And then we have the brave and intrepid GBI director......"This is indicative of the level of violence that is directed against law enforcement officers,” says GBI Director Vernon Keenan.Keenan says part of the problem is an increase in the number of people in psychological crisis who use weapons to confront officers.Anything to deflect blame away from the obvious growing number of LEO's that have NO BUSINESS in the profession!Being a cop is a tough job.....I don't think anyone would dispute that. But I have never heard of someone being forced into being a cop, and being one most certainly does not give one a blank check to terrorize and KILL innocent men, women, and children! (not to mention family pets). Chief Flynn's comment speaks to the fact that there is a certain temperment that is required in police work. Patience, clear headed thinking and decision making, superior reasoning and negotiating skills, and the inate ability to maintain a high level of restraint in extremis situations, are only a few of the unique traits and skill sets that a police officer needs to possess. As the study in this article plainly shows, men and women are being hired, trained (such as the training is) and given a badge and a GUN who very clearly DO NOT possess these traits.But not a week goes by that you don't see/hear/read a story about a LEO violating the rights of ordinary citizens.......like shooting and killing kids with WII controllers!....http://jonathanturley.org/2014/02/2...-in-hand-police-officer-shots-and-kills-teen/I think most cops are good guys doing a ****ty, thankless job pretty well. But it is undeniable that there is an alarmingly increasing number of cops who SHOULDN'T BE COPS!!And it begs the question.......why aren't the good ones busting the bad ones out of the profession?
Who says they don't?There are actions taken, but hopefully not before a complete investigation.Not a biased, emotional, and as aired in the social media.Funny, people want LEO to be open minded and not make judgement until all sides have been heard from and all the physical evidence is processed. EXCEPT when it's an LEO, then everyone should just rush to judgment and condem that officer, just out of principle.

Major part of the problem is the polititions that we elect. Departments are expected to hire the best and brightest, polite and respectable, kind yet able to protect others and willing to sacrifice themselves. But how do you do that if you want to pay them Wal Mart wages? And non existent benefits?
Private sector gets the employees that everyone wants as LEO. I believe that until that question is addressed you will not get the quality officers that everyone seems to want.
Never tell your polititions? Then you must be satisfied with the quality LEO there is now.

Major part of the problem is the polititions that we elect. Departments are expected to hire the best and brightest, polite and respectable, kind yet able to protect others and willing to sacrifice themselves. But how do you do that if you want to pay them Wal Mart wages? And non existent benefits?
Private sector gets the employees that everyone wants as LEO. I believe that until that question is addressed you will not get the quality officers that everyone seems to want.
Never tell your polititions? Then you must be satisfied with the quality LEO there is now.
Couldn't agree more.

"Who says they don't?There are actions taken, but hopefully not before a complete investigation.Not a biased, emotional, and as aired in the social media.Funny, people want LEO to be open minded and not make judgement until all sides have been heard from and all the physical evidence is processed. EXCEPT when it's an LEO, then everyone should just rush to judgment and condem that officer, just out of principle. "

Ken.....TRULY I know that the great majority of LEO's are good and honorable men/women, doing a tough job as best they know how.That is not a point of contention! LEO's DO get a very comprehensive benefit of innocence. (i.e., in almost all fatal shootings, an officer is placed on administrative leave untill a complete investigation is completed.....and NOT arrested and made to languish in jail until bailed out) That same benefit of innocence should be equally extended to the private citizens that the LEO has volutarily decided to interact with and serve! The boy shot by the grossly incompetent cop mentioned in my post above was extended NO benefit of innocence! My point is that this kind of LEO behaviour is becoming more and more prevalent.....WHY???

You mentioned politicians (a particularly dubious and vile sub species of citizen for whom I can find no redeeming qualities), but no politician EVER forcibly compelled a man or woman to pursue a law enforcement career. How COULD you compel someone to pursue that? And therein lies the big problem in my opinion. What would motivate a man/woman to get into that line of work? By your own admission it isn't for the money or the perky benefits. Then WHY would you do this job? I think traditionally the motivation has been virtuous.....a sense of service, a calling to public service, a sincere desire to make your communtiy a better place......even to the point of self sacrifice! If those virtuous reasons are not the motivation, and it isn't compensation, then any reasonable person is left to imagine some rather dark and disturbing reasons that a person would become a cop. The woman who shot that boy and KILLED HIM......for the crime of opening the front door with a game controller in his hand.....NEVER had any business being in that situation!I realize how terribly dangerous the job is, and how especially so warrant service can be in many instances, but that inherent quality of the job does not excuse an inability to cope with it; IT IS A PART OF THE JOB THEY SIGNED ON FOR!! If you can't hack it, GET OUT before it goes horribly wrong as in this case!!

Now I'm sure I will be pilloried and widely condemned here as anti-cop and a scumbag and all that. I would hope that on this site, so full of above average intelligent people possessed of highly tuned common sense and thoughtfulness, that rational discussion could be engaged and honest questions answered honestly.

Now.....let the hangin' begin!

Last edited:
"Who says they don't?There are actions taken, but hopefully not before a complete investigation.Not a biased, emotional, and as aired in the social media.Funny, people want LEO to be open minded and not make judgement until all sides have been heard from and all the physical evidence is processed. EXCEPT when it's an LEO, then everyone should just rush to judgment and condem that officer, just out of principle. "

Ken.....TRULY I know that the great majority of LEO's are good and honorable men/women, doing a tough job as best they know how.That is not a point of contention! LEO's DO get a very comprehensive benefit of innocence. (i.e., in almost all fatal shootings, an officer is placed on administrative leave untill a complete investigation is completed.....and NOT arrested and made to languish in jail until bailed out) That same benefit of innocence should be equally extended to the private citizens that the LEO has volutarily decided to interact with and serve! The boy shot by the grossly incompetent cop mentioned in my post above was extended NO benefit of innocence! My point is that this kind of LEO behaviour is becoming more and more prevalent.....WHY???

You mentioned politicians (a particularly dubious and vile sub species of citizen for whom I can find no redeeming qualities), but no politician EVER forcibly compelled a man or woman to pursue a law enforcement career. How COULD you compel someone to pursue that? And therein lies the big problem in my opinion. What would motivate a man/woman to get into that line of work? By your own admission it isn't for the money or the perky benefits. Then WHY would you do this job? I think traditionally the motivation has been virtuous.....a sense of service, a calling to public service, a sincere desire to make your communtiy a better place......even to the point of self sacrifice! If those virtuous reasons are not the motivation, and it isn't compensation, then any reasonable person is left to imagine some rather dark and disturbing reasons that a person would become a cop. The woman who shot that boy and KILLED HIM......for the crime of opening the front door with a game controller in his hand.....NEVER had any business being in that situation!I realize how terribly dangerous the job is, and how especially so warrant service can be in many instances, but that inherent quality of the job does not excuse an inability to cope with it; IT IS A PART OF THE JOB THEY SIGNED ON FOR!! If you can't hack it, GET OUT before it goes horribly wrong as in this case!!

Now I'm sure I will be pilloried and widely condemned here as anti-cop and a scumbag and all that. I would hope that on this site, so full of above average intelligent people possessed of highly tuned common sense and thoughtfulness, that rational discussion could be engaged and honest questions answered honestly.

Now.....let the hangin' begin!

You can hope, but if you ever say anything bad about LEO, then you will forever be branded a cop basher. There are some on here that won't believe video evidence of misbehavior by LEO unless it was filmed by LEO, and then they still really won't believe it.

Back
Top Bottom