• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO deadly force

I understand that being a police officer is a difficult job . You have to make split second life altering decisions that people have all the time in the world to pick apart. I get that but some of them are just rediculous . Like what went down in Miami not to long ago. 20 police officers fired over 300 rounds at a vehicle . There is no reason for all that .

that is some **** shooting for real

check this out

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c74_1399580183

now...........i dont blame the cops at all, family shouldnt have called them (i figure police can easily make things worse alot of the time in family disputes)

so police arent at fault here (dude should have dropped the knife)......but how many times did this guy fire his service weapon? crazy stuff, yes what some LEO have to deal with is just up and beyond insane

i gotta wonder though. the dude had a knife and had a door separating him form the police. at that point i dont think the police should try and enter the room necessarily

Last edited:
I understand that being a police officer is a difficult job . You have to make split second life altering decisions that people have all the time in the world to pick apart. I get that but some of them are just rediculous . Like what went down in Miami not to long ago. 20 police officers fired over 300 rounds at a vehicle . There is no reason for all that .

I can agree that sounds overboard, but I am interested in what the full story is... Did they just pick a car and say, "okay fellas... NOW!" I would be hard to come up with a way that would be justified, but at my older age I want to hear the full story.

In my 22 years of law enforcement I enforcement I never had to shoot anyone. I never used excessive force and I still went home everyday. Those of you who want to judge law enforcement have more than likely never walked in their shoes. However I do agree that the men and women now are different than when I started. However again so have the bad guys. I'm not talking about traffic offenders or other misdemeanor offenders but about the felons that I actively looked for while you all were cozy in your beds. Yes I signed up f or it and proudly served my community the best way I knew how. Yes I have bad days but I also had some good ones. Thankfully I was able to retire with just a few. Bumps and bruises along the way. I could go on but this isn't a debate. Those of you that don't like like le never will.

In my 22 years of law enforcement I enforcement I never had to shoot anyone. I never used excessive force and I still went home everyday. Those of you who want to judge law enforcement have more than likely never walked in their shoes. However I do agree that the men and women now are different than when I started. However again so have the bad guys. I'm not talking about traffic offenders or other misdemeanor offenders but about the felons that I actively looked for while you all were cozy in your beds. Yes I signed up f or it and proudly served my community the best way I knew how. Yes I have bad days but I also had some good ones. Thankfully I was able to retire with just a few. Bumps and bruises along the way. I could go on but this isn't a debate. Those of you that don't like like le never will.

Your arguement is good, but I know many veterans that would laugh at this post and say, "walk a mile in my shoes" right back at you. This is a typical LEO argument: Walk a mile in my shoes, you can't do what I do, lots of risk for not so great of pay, I want to go home safe to my family, you will never see some of the crap that I have, felons are dangerous, or the you just don't like LEOs for X reason. All of which can be argued point by point, but you get the point.

Not a boot in anyway about it. I never said I would kill anyone. I did however say that I would go home every night. Take that as you may, but I would assume that most of you have never had a pleasant run in with law enforcement. I feel as if I go above and beyond to be a quality person and a quality officer. I would never put a BS charge on anyone. I get a certain level of respect treating many as if their human when they are not used to being treated that way, and having a negative view on law enforcement. In my younger years I had unfortunate run ins with some idiot cops.. because I was young, and not knowing my rights.. I had a few BS charges put on me. Take into account that a few bad officers give all of us a bad name. Other professions don't get the heat that we get. There are other means of taking someone in without seriously injuring them or me.

Take that for what is is worth to you.. but don't put words in my mouth. Sorry that I want to live for my family, and God forbid the moment come when deadly force may be the only way I do go home.

I'm not 'taking my ball' and going home.. but I'm not going to feed into the negativity that people have against 'government'.. I would never come for your guns, I would never infringe upon your rights.. I work for the people.. I know where I stand.. and hopefully you guys have more of an idea as well. Sorry if my original post was taken the wrong way. I do not condone the abuse of power in my profession. Never..

having a brother as retired LEO and interacting with many more, it sounds like you are what most officers are, decent humans taking on a role that 95% of the rest of the populace wouldn't or couldn't do. I myself would probably not be a good one anymore having lost the ability (or just not wanting to) to have the patience the job requires. Shlt happens, all the time and sometimes it takes a tragedy to define a persons ability to cope with the job. Sad, it's very sad......

glad you clarified your position, to me your initial post gave off the air that you were the only one who would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six. just saying, cops get away with pointing guns at people for "their safety" and other folks are supposed to be understanding of it?

also, im no cop and im sure your job has risks, but this isnt somalia or a warzone. i think people are tired of the guilty until innocent attitude alot of the time and the paramilitary nature of a police force here

hmmm don't go into certain parts of some cities? I know of several parts of Atlanta that would make Somalia look like a resort destination. Places where "white man don't let the sun go down on your a** here" and even during daylight... Please insert any color in the "white" part before you go all crazy on me please. Or how about along certain parts of the border or near it. My retired LEO brother lived in Houston most of his life and moving to north GA was the best thing he ever did according to him.

Most of my encounters with police officers have been during traffic stops. I know they're running my tag and don't know what to expect when they step our of their vehicle.

I always turn off the car, turn on the hazard lights, turn on all interior lights, roll my left window down, keep my seat belt on and place both hands on the steering wheel. I'm 54, but I treat all officers with respect.

va87, if your 17 year old son and your boy is mouthy with the officer that pulled him over, YOU are at fault. I think you're out of line with DAFFX4. Your reference to law enforcement as a "cop gig" speaks volumes about your view of law enforcement.

My son was pulled over numerous times until he "grew up" and my daughter was pulled over for speeding. Each time they followed my guidelines for decreasing a LEO's tension level.

couldnt have said it much better myself, personal responsibility, if there was more of it, we wouldn't have 30 LEO's doing a 3 man job....running your mouth in a situation where it not only is uncalled for but inflames any situation calls for culling the herd IMO.

Back
Top Bottom