• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO Encounter

Leatherhead

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
709   0
Reaction score
This was my first LEO encounter while carrying.

OC'ing a FDE G19 in a FDE Kydex rig

[Broken External Image]:

I jumped on the Harley yesterday for the first time in almost a month. I was headed to a meet with a member to sell a Mossberg 500. I strapped my soft case to the back seat of the bike and went for a long loop around an area that I hadn't been to in several years. They had widened the road into a 4 lane since the last time I had been through and it was nice out and I apparently didn't realized how fast I was cruising...it felt great to ride again and I got lost in the ride.

I saw the LEO sitting on the right side of the road as I came over a hill and once I saw him, I knew I was going to get pulled over because I knew I was speeding. So by the time I reached his car, he had his lights on and I just pulled over a fe feet past him into the gas station parking lot and shut off my bike and kept my hands on the handle bars.

He came up behind me slowly and I assumed he saw me OC'ing so I didnt move...

LEO: How ya doin' brother, can I see your license please?

Me: YEssir no problem, can I get off my bike?

L: Sure you can...

I begin to toss my right leg over the seat when he asks...

L: Do you have any weapons on you today?

Before I can answer....

L: Whoa, yes you do...

I finish getting off the bike and I stand still.

L: Sir, may I disarm you for my safety?

After my mind races through all of the LEO encounters Ive read and thinking I could refuse and make this worse, I said...

M: Well, since my wallet is in my right rear pocket, I cant get it without my hand being near my weapon, so Ill allow you to disarm me sir...there is one in the chamber sir.

L: Thank you brother, I am a big 2A advocate and I do not want you to think I am infringing on your rights, I just would feel safer if I disarm you.

He proceeded to take the glock out and place it on his hood...

L: Glock 19, nice weapon. Love the FDE...

He walks back over to me and asks if I have any other weapons on me...I hand him my DL and GWL.

M: Not on me sir, that was all...

L: What is this contraption you have strapped to the bike?

M: A Mossberg 500 that I am headed to sell to someone right now...

[Broken External Image]:

L: What?! (jokingly) Youre just armed up today arent you? (smiles)

M: Yessir, Im just headed to sell it.

L: Well brother, do you know why I pulled you over today?

M: Im sure I was going too fast...I havent been on the bike in 3 weeks or so and It just felt good to get out on it and I also havent been on this road since it was widened and I must lost track of my speed...

L: Well, you were definitely speeding, the fastest Ive clocked since I got my laser radar license. Nice bike btw, I used to have a Night Train...I love the matte black finish.

M: Thanks, yeah I dont have to wash it very often.

L: Well, I just want you to know how much of a 2A advocate that I am and that I appreciate law abiding citizens carrying. I really believe it helps to reduce crime.

M: Yessir, I believe that too. I appreciate your stance on the subject.

L: Let me check to see if youre wanted and if your not, then you can get on your way. Im not going to cite you.

M: No problem sir.

I stand quietly next to the bike while he backs up to his car and runs my DL over the radio. He picks up my Glock and pulls the slide back a quarter pull to see if it is chambered and comes back over to me...

L: Alright brother, here is your license back. Here is your gun back. I holster my weapon and take my credentials back.

M: Thank you sir.

L: Your welcome brother. I just want to thank you again for exercising your 2A rights as a law abiding citizen. Thank you for allowing me to disarm you to make me feel safer during this stop.

M: Yessir, your welcome. Thank you for having the 2A stance that you do.

We shake hands twice during the thanks...

L: Be safe today and slow down.

M: I shall. You be safe as well Officer.

Im sure Im going to get some backlash from someone here about allowing him to disarm me, but I feel it make the encounter smoother. I couldnt remember if I even had the right to refuse disarming because I was stopped for speeding, and not just a random MWAG call, or just him seeing me out in public....so that is why I allowed him to disarm me.

I feel it was a fantastic encounter. It was my first while carrying and I couldnt have asked for it to go any better.

My hat is off to that officer and his department.

Good for you, glad it went well, I would have done the same thing under the circumstances..................... Now if he was a jackass, that's a different story.

sure ... refuse.... he calls for back up , for his safety, keeps you there longer, for what, the man is doing his JOB.... JOB being the key WORD.....YES you have the RIGHT....if you do as he asks things go a smother........ That is part of the problem with todays cry babies .......he is doing his JOB.. he wants to get home to his loved ones at the end of his shift just like everyone else does......If you act like a problem you get treated like a PROBLEM....ok getting off of soap box now...leatherhead you did the RIGHT thing and there is NOT a lot of that anymore.

I think you did the right thing, I too would have done the same. The officer, from reading your encounter showed NO Signs of anything other than mutual respect and courtesy. Also, in a public place, I would like to also extend a "Thank you" to ALL our Law Enforcement who have the same view and stance.

Always keep your DL seperate from your wallet and opposite side pockets of your weapon. The issue always is first they have no legal right to disarm you unless you are legally detained. By giving them "permission ", the legal issue is now gone. The other big issue is that a total stranger is removing a loaded firearm from your body! What is the level of knowledge about firearms and firearms safety does this person have? What level of knowledge does this person have about glocks? What level of knowledge does that person have regarding certain retention holsters? With all due respect to our LEO brothers and sisters, there are some that come very close to being dangerous to themselves with The limited knowledge they have regarding firearms! I'm glad it went well, but I'll take the ticket over voluntarily giving up my weapon!

Back
Top Bottom