• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO Encounter

Thanks for your service.I served as well. War and law enforcement are totally different. Please report back and let us know how it works out for you when your stopped by an officer and you fail to comply with his instructions regarding any weapon on your person.

Ok. I've kept my mouth shut throughout this thread. I've read where some have posted essentially refuse to turn over your weapon etc. At the end of the day, all Law enforcement officers want to do one thing. Go home to there family. ( Odd I know but just like you) When I was active law enforcement, and if I pulled over someone for a clear violation who had what appeared to be a shotgun wrapped up on the back of a motorcycle as well as a clearly visible sidearm on their belt. That person was going to do what ever I needed them to do to insure that I WENT HOME AT THE END OF WATCH. I would be respectful, but until you show me that your not a threat to me or others. Im in control of the situation as well as your weapons.If you cannot understand that, perhaps you should not have a weapon in the 1st place. I think the officer in this scenario handled the situation extremly well. Perhaps, even putting himself at risk. However, for those of you who are stupid enough to think that you should not comply with the officers instructions. You place yourself in what could very possibly be a justifiable shooting situation. Sorry, but this is the real world and not some macho Monday morning quaterback where you can say "this is what I would have done".
your a ****ing idiot

Ok. I've kept my mouth shut throughout this thread. I've read where some have posted essentially refuse to turn over your weapon etc. At the end of the day, all Law enforcement officers want to do one thing. Go home to there family. ( Odd I know but just like you)
When I was active law enforcement, and if I pulled over someone for a clear violation who had what appeared to be a shotgun wrapped up on the back of a motorcycle as well as a clearly visible sidearm on their belt. That person was going to do what ever I needed them to do to insure that I WENT HOME AT THE END OF WATCH. I would be respectful, but until you show me that your not a threat to me or others. Im in control of the situation as well as your weapons.If you cannot understand that, perhaps you should not have a weapon in the 1st place.
I think the officer in this scenario handled the situation extremly well. Perhaps, even putting himself at risk. However, for those of you who are stupid enough to think that you should not comply with the officers instructions. You place yourself in what could very possibly be a justifiable shooting situation. Sorry, but this is the real world and not some macho Monday morning quaterback where you can say "this is what I would have done".

Why don't you go over to GA Packing and see how well that goes for you. Maybe you should also learn that people still have rights when they are pulled over. I sure hope your not still a cop with that mentality. Cops like you are why many on this site and others dislike and do not trust the police.

I totally get what you are saying Bryan...Terry is just a case law though. It spelled out the many factors present where an LEO can force an non consentual encounter. Loitering and Prowling (at least in our jurisdiction) is a pretty difficult charge to prove, unless you catch some one at 2 am pulling door handles on cars. Most agencies supplent GA law with city ordinances that are extremely liberal and give copps more latitude with non consentual encounters.

My only piece of advice is that during an LEO encounter try to remain as calm as possible, be firm, be respectful,and DO NOT try your cse on the side of the roadway. You will normally lose that intial encounter in a big way. If its a speeding ticket, moving violation, traffic accident etc deal with at the PD/SO etc if you think you are wronged. Getting into it on the side of road will result in all kinds of stupidity.

very well said fcs

And people wonder why I avoid any encounter with an "ego with a badge and gun". Pure and simple this is an elitist attitude. I can only imagine the damage he did as a "peace officer". I mean revenue agent.

Boom. I make my Leo encounters as quick as possible. "I pulled you over because you were speeding" the odds are I was, sorry bout that. I'll get my ticket and roll out.

One thing about the Ex Cop arguing that merely possessing a firearm that he can see changes the dynamics of the stop and puts "him in total control". I don't understand this? So long as the person is cooperative and compliant to the point they are legally required to be a visible firearm shouldn't make a difference. You should treat them the same way you would if they had a concealed firearm that you didn't know about. Which to me is a far more dangerous situation that puts the LEO at a greater tactical advantage. At least in my view. Then to throw out that a law abiding citizen that refuses to relinquish his legal and constitutional rights to a paranoid LEO, could be "justifiably shot". This is the problem with the mentality that gives all the great LEO's like the one in the story a bad rap.

Back
Top Bottom