• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO Encounter

I detect from your sarcasm that you believe they are. Its not about being above the law or not. Its the professional courtesy that is extended. Beware that parole officers and firefighters will get less courtesy than a fellow brother in blue (police officer or sheriff). With that said theres still no guarantee that you won't get a senior officer that will pull you over, won't write you a ticket but will get in touch with your commanding officer and he will ream you out.

Whatever the case having a badge is not a hall pass to do whatever you want without repercussions. Police officers are usually (or should be) held to a higher regard.

what if i was the commanding officer? haha

One afternoon an officer made a traffic stop on a vehicle that was speeding. As the officer approached the car the driver exited and the officer caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a shoulder holster under the unbuttoned shirt the driver was wearing. The driver was courteous and almost charming however the officer exercised his right (and God forbid ) his authority to secure both the driver and the weapon. Now that officer could have assumed that this was a young man exercising his 4th amendment rights or he could have assumed that this man possesed the vast knowledge that was available through a few random posts on ODT. Instead the officer the did what he was trained to do. He took control of the situation, insuring his personal safety as well as that of the driver. All that for a speeding violation and no wants or warrents!
The driver was Timothy Mcvey and hopefully your aware of what Mcvey had done only a few hours earlier.

He was pulled over for not having a license plate and was politely asked what the bulge under his shirt was after stepping out of his car and walking toward the SPO, he replied "a pistol", this after handing OSP a drivers license from Michigan, a state that had no reciprocal agreement with Oklahoma regarding the carry of concealed weapons. In addition to that he had no registration. Quite different than a local stop on a local plate with a carry permit and everything else in order.

I know and have worked with quite a few LEO's who are not scared of law abiding citizens carrying a weapon (hell my ex wife was a LEO and not scared of law abiding citizens). They do not "feel" threatened by citizens anymore than their co-workers unless there are extenuating circumstances.

ETA: I would have handled the matter exactly like the OP

Last edited:
One afternoon an officer made a traffic stop on a vehicle that was speeding. As the officer approached the car the driver exited and the officer caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a shoulder holster under the unbuttoned shirt the driver was wearing. The driver was courteous and almost charming however the officer exercised his right (and God forbid ) his authority to secure both the driver and the weapon. Now that officer could have assumed that this was a young man exercising his 4th amendment rights or he could have assumed that this man possesed the vast knowledge that was available through a few random posts on ODT. Instead the officer the did what he was trained to do. He took control of the situation, insuring his personal safety as well as that of the driver. All that for a speeding violation and no wants or warrents!
The driver was Timothy Mcvey and hopefully your aware of what Mcvey had done only a few hours earlier.

Ah yes, because we're all now Timothy McVeigh. Or at least potentially, right?

You're really not helping your case any, you know that, right?

- - - Updated - - -

He was pulled over for not having a license plate and was politely asked what the bulge under his shirt was after stepping out of his car and walking toward the SPO, he replied "a pistol", this after handing OSP a drivers license from Michigan, a state that had no reciprocal agreement with Oklahoma regarding the carry of concealed weapons. In addition to that he had no registration. Quite different than a local stop on a local plate with a carry permit and everything else in order.

I know and have worked with tons of cops who are not scared of law abiding citizens carrying a weapon (hell my ex wife was a LEO and not scared of law abiding citizens). They do not "feel" threatened by citizens anymore than their co-workers unless there are extenuating circumstances.

haha facts and reason FTW!

So you want to be a liberal and remove everyone's constitutional rights for the saftey of the few? I get it cops haw a dangerous job. But it's not a surprise that its dangerous going in, if you don't like the dangers don't be a cop but this "I can do whatever I want to go home safe" talk is BS.

deller...I have to ask...is that your fantasy? That you're going to catch the next Timothy McVeigh? Is that how your rationalize abusing your authority on people that you have no reason to suspect are actually a danger to you?

Two questions: Where do you get your information from? What relevancy does the Timothy McVeigh encounter have to do with what we're talking about?

Lets get out some facts about the Timothy McVeigh stop and how it differs from what a normal GA citizen would encounter.

- One Trooper Hanger did not approach McVeigh's car, he stood at his patrol car and called McVeigh to him.

- Trooper Hanger came into knowledge of McVeigh's weapon but DID NOT secure said weapon until he noticed his Michigan address and concealed permit which was not valid in OK. So McVeigh was originally arrested for driving without plates and ILLEGAL firearm possession. Really at that point even in GA, anyone would have to relinquish their firearm and the officer would be in his right and duty to confiscate it.

- - - Updated - - -

I know and have worked with tons of cops who are not scared of law abiding citizens carrying a weapon (hell my ex wife was a LEO and not scared of law abiding citizens). They do not "feel" threatened by citizens anymore than their co-workers unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I was too slow. :(

I would just want to know what your bond number was. That is all, nothing else. And I would pray that you weren't bonded. OH GOD the fun I would have. Form 95s are so easy to fill out!

How in the world am I safer by having another individual unholster my weapon?... which will undoubtedly increasing the risk for a negligent discharge by simply handling a weapon that never needed to be touched in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom