• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

LEO Trade in Smith & Wesson

acmech

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
0   0
Reaction score
Got an email from Southern Ohio Gun where they were advertising Smith & Wesson Models 64's for $249. These guns are DAO, so if you ever want to shoot it single action, you'd have to buy a new hammer (Smith & Wesson doesn't have any so you'll have to buy something off ebay) The one I got is a 64-6, a buddy got one which is a 64-5. The -6 is where they just started using MIM parts and I just happened to find a replacement hammer on ebay for $30 that might work. Hammers for the -5s are far more plentiful. Anyhow, for a total cost to me of $281 including shipping and transfer fee, I am very happy. Here are some pics, the second is after me spending an entire hour polishing it with Flitz metal polish. Very happy with it, of all the different guns I own, I didn't have a full size 38, now I do. It was advertised in very good to Excellent condition, after cleaning it up I'd agree, it at least very good condition. Your mileage may vary, the -5s are 10 yrs older and have been carried a lot more. It is possible these are Brinks guns as they are not marked with any dept. of corrections.
Took the side place off and it was dry inside. I think I'm gonna hit the insides with brake cleaner and then lube it with Zmax or some other high quality gun oil. The trigger on this feels heavier than it does on the -5 my buddy has, maybe it is the dried lube inside. His gun is also older and maybe it has a slightly lighter pull from more use. I tried to put a trigger pull gauge on them and the results were the same for both. Don't know why the trigger on mine doesn't feel as nice.

I also didn't pay for SOGs handpick fee, that means nothing to them. I once ordered a "handpicked" Mosin and the gun I got had a dime size spot of rust on the bolt and a counter bored barrel.

20170419_170232.jpg
20170420_143127.jpg

Less glare in this next photo.

20170420_143030.jpg

20170420_081541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom