• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk Keto

I'm really trying to stick to intermittent fasting. Started at 231 about 1.5 weeks ago, now I'm at 222. Goal weight is around 180. I work 3rd shift so I eat my first meal at around 4:00 PM and give myself till 10:00 PM to eat. Its been working well for me so far. It drives my wife crazy since she likes to eat three square meals a day, and my body just doesn't do well with that. She likes to eat together, but she is noticing I am losing weight so she has adapted fasting to her timeline. She eats from 11:00 AM-5:00 PM, so we at least eat one meal together. Also, trying to restrict carbs, but not full on Keto.

if you know what you do wrong, then stop doing it. Try the carnivore diet it's much easier, no counting carbs because there aren't any and you can eat as much as u want

Finally started. Day three in the books. I don’t know if I have ever gone three days before without sugar or bread in my life!

you-can-do-it-meme-18134.jpg

This will be the day you feel bad. The keto flu is a real thing. After a day of it it will go away. Push through it and it will work well.

I'm going to say this again: STOP with the fad diets!
If you want to lose fat and be healthy, you need to adopt a SUSTAINABLE lifestyle. The problem with fad diets is, well, people can't stick to them. And, when they fall off the wagon, the pounds come back with a vengeance. It's called yo-yo'ing. Every single FAD diet results in the same thing: caloric deficit. Caloric deficit means you eat less calories than you burn. Why? Well, so your body dips into its stored energy reserves (fat) to supplement that gap. Fat is nothing more than stored energy. That's it, that's all the magic there is! If you want to lose fat, you need to average about 15% caloric deficit. How do you do that?
First, you need to determine your Resting Metabolic Rate. Google it. That is the minimum number of calories you need to burn to exist.
Second, you need to track your calorie intake. Yes, that means looking at the labels, adhering to the serving size and recording your calories (MapMyFitness is an awesome app for this!!).
Lastly, you need to track your caloric burn. Fitness watches and apps are ideal. Several interface with MapMyFitness so you can see how many calories you have ingested, how many you've burned and what the resultant number is. That last number should show a deficit at the end of the day, ideally about 15%.

Once you get into the groove, understand portioning and your body becomes accustomed to your routine, you can ease off the calorie tracking. It's all about forming and re-forming healthy habits.
Now, there are nuances and tweaks that you will want to look at such as macros (protein, healthy fat and carbs). A good starting point is 33.3% each for a nice balance.
Let me say this: carbs are NOT bad!! You need them, you need the available energy to function. BUT, get the correct carbs! Processed sugar is BAD. Worse: sugar in drinks!!! DON'T drink your carbs!! Fruit is AWESOME! The sugars in it are proportionate to the soluble fibre. They go hand in hand and help your body metabolize the energy (available carbs and fat).

Why listen to me? Experience and I'm mentored by two people incredible people. She's working on her masters degree in PT, OT and health and nutrition. He's been a bodybuilder for 15+ years. They know a thing or two because.... ;)

Reactions: MRH
If you want to lose fat and be healthy, you need to adopt a SUSTAINABLE lifestyle. The problem with fad diets is, well, people can't stick to them. And, when they fall off the wagon, the pounds come back with a vengeance. It's called yo-yo'ing. Every single FAD diet results in the same thing: caloric deficit. Caloric deficit means you eat less calories than you burn. Why? Well, so your body dips into its stored energy reserves (fat) to supplement that gap. Fat is nothing more than stored energy. That's it, that's all the magic there is! If you want to lose fat, you need to average about 15% caloric deficit. How do you do that?
First, you need to determine your Resting Metabolic Rate. Google it. That is the minimum number of calories you need to burn to exist.
Second, you need to track your calorie intake. Yes, that means looking at the labels, adhering to the serving size and recording your calories (MapMyFitness is an awesome app for this!!).
Lastly, you need to track your caloric burn. Fitness watches and apps are ideal. Several interface with MapMyFitness so you can see how many calories you have ingested, how many you've burned and what the resultant number is. That last number should show a deficit at the end of the day, ideally about 15%.

Once you get into the groove, understand portioning and your body becomes accustomed to your routine, you can ease off the calorie tracking. It's all about forming and re-forming healthy habits.
Now, there are nuances and tweaks that you will want to look at such as macros (protein, healthy fat and carbs). A good starting point is 33.3% each for a nice balance.
Let me say this: carbs are NOT bad!! You need them, you need the available energy to function. BUT, get the correct carbs! Processed sugar is BAD. Worse: sugar in drinks!!! DON'T drink your carbs!! Fruit is AWESOME! The sugars in it are proportionate to the soluble fibre. They go hand in hand and help your body metabolize the energy (available carbs and fat).

Why listen to me? Experience and I'm mentored by two people incredible people. She's working on her masters degree in PT, OT and health and nutrition. He's been a bodybuilder for 15+ years. They know a thing or two because.... ;)

Just stop. You're making too much sense.

GF is trying Keto. I like beer so, not so much. However, I’ve eliminated highly processed food along with soft drinks from my diet along, with reduced carbs.
She’s been suffering for sever stomach cramping that the internet has claimed to be a symptom of ketosis starting. Any strict keto gurus’s suffer from similar?

I would worry about cramping. There is a keto flu where you feel really worn down which is common around day 3 or 4. Is she taking supplements? Is she taking some form of a fiber supplement. Keto diet is good at giving you constipation, which can cause cramping. Also make sure she is drinking plenty of water. Without carbs your body doesn't store water well which will cause cramping. Keto diet is much harder for women than men. Women's hormones play a big part in that. As well as their cycle makes the low carb for that week of the month much more difficult.

I do agree that Keto is not a sustainable diet. If you do it and lose your weight then come off and go back to the way you lived before you have accomplished nothing. It worked really well for me. I lost over 55 lbs and new that when I came off of it I would put my water weight back on. I went from almost 240 to 180. And I have kept it off for about 3 years. It helped me retrain myself to not go to white carbs so fast. I'm 175 now, and would like to lose about 15 more. I will say that exercise is very difficult on Keto. You have no back up energy until about the 3rd month of the diet, that seems to be about how long it took my body to get used to going to my fat for energy to where i felt like I could be productive.

I don’t know that I’m really doing Keto I just don’t eat any of my favorite foods.

No sugar, no bread, no cheese, nothing from a package or a box. Just meats and vegetables. Salads with no dressing and our meats are cooked with spices but no marinades.

But to make up for it we splurged on some high end, organic meets. I have been putting Norwegian cold smoked salmon from Atlanta Smoke House, in my salad the last couple days. Holy crap that stuff is awesome

Really I’m loving the food. Just gotta make time for the prep.

Back
Top Bottom