• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk Keto

I don’t know that I’m really doing Keto I just don’t eat any of my favorite foods.

No sugar, no bread, no cheese, nothing from a package or a box. Just meats and vegetables. Salads with no dressing and our meats are cooked with spices but no marinades.

But to make up for it we splurged on some high end, organic meets. I have been putting Norwegian cold smoked salmon from Atlanta Smoke House, in my salad the last couple days. Holy crap that stuff is awesome

Really I’m loving the food. Just gotta make time for the prep.

You can eat cheese on Keto.

Healthy eating habits are just good ones to have. Good for you and good luck. I will say the biggest thing/problem with a keto diet is that a cheat day sets you back a week in the weight loss. If you just plan on making this a new lifestyle diet you should see some good improvements in the way you feel. As well as a "cheat" day isn't that big of a deal if this is your new way of eating. You will still lose weight with some cheating it will just be slower than without it.

You can eat cheese on Keto.

Healthy eating habits are just good ones to have. Good for you and good luck. I will say the biggest thing/problem with a keto diet is that a cheat day sets you back a week in the weight loss. If you just plan on making this a new lifestyle diet you should see some good improvements in the way you feel. As well as a "cheat" day isn't that big of a deal if this is your new way of eating. You will still lose weight with some cheating it will just be slower than without it.

We might have ended up more paleo than Keto. We looked at both and just basically decided to try and cut out all the trash we eat. By default I end up very low carb some days but yesterday i had a banana and some raw cashews which put me over the Keto carb limit. I got back into a bad fast food habit. At least once a day, and then add a QT stop to that for some chips and a trip to the bakery rack everyday. I can afford the carbs from a handful of raw cashews.

We might have ended up more paleo than Keto. We looked at both and just basically decided to try and cut out all the trash we eat. By default I end up very low carb some days but yesterday i had a banana and some raw cashews which put me over the Keto carb limit. I got back into a bad fast food habit. At least once a day, and then add a QT stop to that for some chips and a trip to the bakery rack everyday. I can afford the carbs from a handful of raw cashews.

I here you. roller food isn't half bad when you're hungry. It's quick and hot. Nuts are a good form of fat on the keto diet, banana not so much. But working in the heat it's good to have potassium in you to help store water and not dehydrate. Back in the day when I started in construction the older guys would always eat fruit. That does wonders for you in the heat.

I'm going to say this again: STOP with the fad diets!
If you want to lose fat and be healthy, you need to adopt a SUSTAINABLE lifestyle. The problem with fad diets is, well, people can't stick to them. And, when they fall off the wagon, the pounds come back with a vengeance. It's called yo-yo'ing. Every single FAD diet results in the same thing: caloric deficit. Caloric deficit means you eat less calories than you burn. Why? Well, so your body dips into its stored energy reserves (fat) to supplement that gap. Fat is nothing more than stored energy. That's it, that's all the magic there is! If you want to lose fat, you need to average about 15% caloric deficit. How do you do that?
First, you need to determine your Resting Metabolic Rate. Google it. That is the minimum number of calories you need to burn to exist.
Second, you need to track your calorie intake. Yes, that means looking at the labels, adhering to the serving size and recording your calories (MapMyFitness is an awesome app for this!!).
Lastly, you need to track your caloric burn. Fitness watches and apps are ideal. Several interface with MapMyFitness so you can see how many calories you have ingested, how many you've burned and what the resultant number is. That last number should show a deficit at the end of the day, ideally about 15%.

Once you get into the groove, understand portioning and your body becomes accustomed to your routine, you can ease off the calorie tracking. It's all about forming and re-forming healthy habits.
Now, there are nuances and tweaks that you will want to look at such as macros (protein, healthy fat and carbs). A good starting point is 33.3% each for a nice balance.
Let me say this: carbs are NOT bad!! You need them, you need the available energy to function. BUT, get the correct carbs! Processed sugar is BAD. Worse: sugar in drinks!!! DON'T drink your carbs!! Fruit is AWESOME! The sugars in it are proportionate to the soluble fibre. They go hand in hand and help your body metabolize the energy (available carbs and fat).

Why listen to me? Experience and I'm mentored by two people incredible people. She's working on her masters degree in PT, OT and health and nutrition. He's been a bodybuilder for 15+ years. They know a thing or two because.... ;)

I don't think you can honestly call keto a fad diet. If done right, you're literally changing the way your body produces energy.

I agree, loosing weight is a simple as a calorie deficit, that's the only way. But when I've done that in the past, I was always starving myself and was miserable.

Keto teaches your body to favor burning fat, when you hit that caloric deficit it means nothing to your body, you don't get the same cravings as someone who eats more carbs.

I've done the low calorie lots of exercise routine to lose 80lbs and it was a struggle the whole way and took a long time.

I haven't changed my exercise a bit on keto, and have dropped 60lbs and counting like it wasn't nothing. It's extremely effective.

Not to mention all the evidence of reversing diabetes and treating seizures for people. It's more than just some fad diet.

I don’t know that I’m really doing Keto I just don’t eat any of my favorite foods.

No sugar, no bread, no cheese, nothing from a package or a box. Just meats and vegetables. Salads with no dressing and our meats are cooked with spices but no marinades.

But to make up for it we splurged on some high end, organic meets. I have been putting Norwegian cold smoked salmon from Atlanta Smoke House, in my salad the last couple days. Holy crap that stuff is awesome

Really I’m loving the food. Just gotta make time for the prep.
Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and a little Dijon mustard makes a great super clean keto dressing.

Cook your meats with avocado oil or ghee. I soak my steaks in ghee.

Down to 250lbs this morning.

That's 75lbs lost in a little over 6 months with no significant change in calorie intake, and no significant change in exercise, but by cutting carbs completely and eating a metric **** load of healthy fats.

It's no gimmick. It works, it's completely sustainable, and I never plan on going back to a carb heavy diet. Not even for a single meal, ever.

Down to 250lbs this morning.

That's 75lbs lost in a little over 6 months with no significant change in calorie intake, and no significant change in exercise, but by cutting carbs completely and eating a metric **** load of healthy fats.

It's no gimmick. It works, it's completely sustainable, and I never plan on going back to a carb heavy diet. Not even for a single meal, ever.

No beer?

Back
Top Bottom