• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let some gentlemen know i was carrying.

Well I think we all could agree, that you don't know who you are messing with, and same goes for thugs. Many of us share different veiws, the thugs in this case were scared away, if it was another member here they may have been shot, or if a different member, they may have never known he was armed, a mixed bag of outcomes. Me, I want them to know I that i'm not here to f around right off the bat. If they approach me, I feel they need to know real quick that they do not have the upper hand, and hope the end results be the same as this situation, everybody walks away. As I said before, you don't know who you are messing with, these thugs just had attiude problems that was an easy fix, but the OP did'nt know that untill the end, you cant interveiw them, so I would have to assume that they were there to rob, beat or kill me, untill I know other wise, I have to assume the worst being that they are the ones threating a crime against me, bringing to make that desicion. I hope this has makes those punks think twice nest time, becaue they don't know who they are messing with.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

just wonder what would have happened if, when you raised your shirt to show your gun, the guys in the truck had grabbed their gun off the seat of the truck and shot you? glad it worked out.

It's called disparity of force (2 home chickens and one good guy meeting like this). You were being confronted and threatened. It is very possible this was just a set up to rob you/catch you off guard. You didn't need to unholster but you did made it clear that if they decided to attack you it would be a costly endeavor for these a**clowns. The only thing you should have done when safe was call 911 and file a report. If they (the home chickens) called the police and you were attempting to flee the area it would not look good and in all likelihood you would have been arrested, facing weapons violations. I have already war gamed this and we all need to know what to do before, during and after an altercation involving use of force.

I would have issued a warning, stood my ground-watching my six, be prepared to issue lethal force or the force necessary to preserve life, limb or eyesight and when safe to do so called 911 ASAP!

One thing I always hated to hear is "I'll tell you what I'd have done if it was me". It is an interesting debate. I've sat here for a half hour reading it. I had always been taught that you didn't pull the pistol until you were ready to pull the trigger. The threat had to be that serious. I have not been professionaly trained...yet but I have wondered why a person wouldn't consider filling their faces full of pepper spray and hitting the car alarm? If they started going for the waist to draw then clear leather. I know that there's a lot of baggage that goes with "that" shot. Expensive legal issues in some case I would imagine. I've always heard that you had better be able to prove to a judge and jury that you'd be dead if you hadn't acted in the manner that you did. I don't know what kind of civil matters would come out of a shooting like that. Some good post have brought up a lot to think about. Good post to the OP to bring this up. It would be easy to make the call on an armed assailant but a couple of mouthy punks that have not shown a weapon is another story.

I've seen number of good and bad points of view on here...
Points to be well taken:
1. Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.
2. READ the statutes re:deadly force yourself and UNDERSTAND CLEARLY what they mean. Even with this done, the civil and criminal courts will scrutinize every minute facet of the incident and it will make you sweat even when you know in your heart that you had no bad intent.
3.Whether you can sell, there was two of them and one of me will VERY MUCH depend on the prosecuting attorneys mind set, the the court jurisdiction you are in and perhaps the scariest of all, the jury pool where your case will be heard and how well you articulate the events...there is a BIG, BIG difference in the courthouse in Fulton County and the one in Fannin County.
It will also depend on all of the facts of the entire situation the "totality of circumstances".
Everyone's situation will be different i.e 25 years ago, I don't know if a jury would say that that very healthy guy (me) could not have used other means than a firearm to resist two guys who had shown only hands....(this isn't about, you can get killed with fists because of course you can if you are hit enough times in the right places)but in reality a fist fight in a public place is very unlikely to last long enough for that to happen .
That said, I have to hope that now at 63 and disabled to a significant degree with arthritis that much consideration would be afforded me because I know and so would a jury that in this circumstance, I could not last more than a couple minutes at best trying to engage in a physical contest with two less than half my age and also with the health consideration and age I would likely incur more serious injury in a shorter period of time.
I hope you see where this is going....To survive, I would have to end physical contact rapidly and completely, I don't have the options a healthy 30 year old has.
The point is, it isn't only the words you read in the statutes that will be considered..Law isn't an exact science, it isn't simply black and white.. there is the "letter" of the law but there is also the "spirit" of the law and both will come in to play.
Keep these things in mind when you get on a forum and (I know the OP here did not) ask would I have been justified to shoot or point my weapon, you are for the most part getting amateurish guesses and bulldogging.
A LEO with more than "rookie" status, a prosecuting attorney, a judge (the people, you will have to face) will not tell you that you can shoot someone if they do this or that, they will not tender permission. The best answer you will get is ,the law says that you may employ deadly force to protect your life or that of another.
That isn't an automatic pass, you better darn well be able to convince the judicial system that you were in fear of your life, and just "there was two of them and one of me" without anything else isn't likely to get it done.
We can carry this back and forth forever....as my old gunnery sergeant used to say "opinions are like a**holes everybody has one".
What I'm trying to get you to think about is DON'T RISK YOUR LIFE OR FREEDOM on a THEORY that you picked up from someone in conversation.

Last edited:
I thought if you felt that your life was threatened u can use the weapon. i would have taken 10 steps back and if they came toward me i would have pulled it out. If they kept coming i would have shot. Simple as that. What are we good people supposed to do, wait until they beat our ass or shoot us before we can pull it out?????

P.S. what damn grocery store was this??? I thought i was being paranoid by packing mine in the grocery store, but i guess not.

Back
Top Bottom