• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let some gentlemen know i was carrying.

I thought if you felt that your life was threatened u can use the weapon. i would have taken 10 steps back and if they came toward me i would have pulled it out. If they kept coming i would have shot. Simple as that. What are we good people supposed to do, wait until they beat our ass or shoot us before we can pull it out?????

P.S. what damn grocery store was this??? I thought i was being paranoid by packing mine in the grocery store, but

Take the time to read related info. on www.gacarry.org. It will clear up a lot of questions that you have.
Oh, & by the way... at my training school and virtually every other one in the country, anybody who thinks they are fast enough to beat someone else who has already started to draw their weapon, will get theirselves "lit" up with multiple shots during "Force-On-Force" drills.
We train a lot but myself & every other "fast" instructor that I know will at best get a "tie" inside 7 yards.
In otherwords, yes we can get a shot off..., but we get shot too. That's why we spend a lot of time moving & shooting, also referred to as "getting off the X".
If you train A LOT this way, SOMETIMES you can get your threat to start reacting to you & "win" but you have to practice a lot to be efficient at that drill.
Action beats reaction every time.
Anyone who has seen enough movies to doubt that is welcome to come to our range & try it.
It's very humbling but helps dispel some of this "Hollywood or HALO" nonsense that will get you killed in real life.

Last edited:
lots of variables. someone like myself, in a wheelchair and unable to fight would have more justification in using a gun than a healthy person who could have simply turned around, walked back into the store, and avoided the situation.

I have learned a lot from this thread. I will definitely become more familiar with the use of lethal force laws. This thread has also reinforced that mindset is the first order of self defense training. I also believe that knowledge is great but useless if not trained in the use of that knowledge. In a high stress situation we don't think. We respond according to how we are "programmed". Some are programmed by Hollywood or the street. Others are programmed with good training.

I thought if you felt that your life was threatened u can use the weapon. i would have taken 10 steps back and if they came toward me i would have pulled it out. If they kept coming i would have shot. Simple as that. What are we good people supposed to do, wait until they beat our ass or shoot us before we can pull it out?????

P.S. what damn grocery store was this??? I thought i was being paranoid by packing mine in the grocery store, but

Take the time to read related info. on www.gacarry.org. It will clear up a lot of questions that you have.
Oh, & by the way... at my training school and virtually every other one in the country, anybody who thinks they are fast enough to beat someone else who has already started to draw their weapon, will get theirselves "lit" up with multiple shots during "Force-On-Force" drills.
We train a lot but even myself & every other "fast" instructor that I know will at best get a "tie" inside 7 yards.
In otherwords, yes we can get a shot off..., but we get shot too. That's why we spend a lot of time moving & shooting, also referred to as "getting off the X".
If you train A LOT this way, SOMETIMES you can get your threat to start reacting to you & "win" but you have to practice a lot to be efficient at that drill.
Action beats reaction every time. Anyone who has seen enough movies to doubt that is welcome to come to our range & try it.
It's very humbling but helps dispel some of this "Hollywood or HALO" nonsense that will get you killed in real life.

THIS, THIS, THIS and he77 yes THIS!!!!!!! This is the Tactical Action Curve (TAC). By the very nature of a self defense encounter, the defender is almost always behind the curve and you need to train for that reality. MOVE!!! I also prepare another way for this and it's radical. Protective Measures, think about this before you loose your mind on me.

The first round in the weapon is always frangible. The reason for this is so I can safely fire a round into the ground at an angle without risk of a ricochet. The tactic behind this is to try and compensate for being behind the TAC. You can fire a round almost as soon as you clear your holster. It may give you a slight advantage by unnerving the attacker somewhat and it does not interfere with deployment of the weapon. The round is gone well before you get the muzzle on target. Even if the attacker starts their draw first, many times you can get the first round off, thus, greatly increasing the stress of the attacker before they have fired. The higher their stress, the worse their shooting ability. Combine this with movement and it can be very effective. This is something that really needs to be practiced a lot. I consider it to be at the expert level and should not be tried by someone with less skill.

THIS, THIS, THIS and he77 yes THIS!!!!!!! This is the Tactical Action Curve (TAC). By the very nature of a self defense encounter, the defender is almost always behind the curve and you need to train for that reality. MOVE!!! I also prepare another way for this and it's radical. Protective Measures, think about this before you loose your mind on me.

The first round in the weapon is always frangible. The reason for this is so I can safely fire a round into the ground at an angle without risk of a ricochet. The tactic behind this is to try and compensate for being behind the TAC. You can fire a round almost as soon as you clear your holster. It may give you a slight advantage by unnerving the attacker somewhat and it does not interfere with deployment of the weapon. The round is gone well before you get the muzzle on target. Even if the attacker starts their draw first, many times you can get the first round off, thus, greatly increasing the stress of the attacker before they have fired. The higher their stress, the worse their shooting ability. Combine this with movement and it can be very effective. This is something that really needs to be practiced a lot. I consider it to be at the expert level and should not be tried by someone with less skill.

I would try to break this habit before it gets set in stone...you are living very dangerously...you may shake up an amateur but an adversary with military training,combat experience, years and years of police training or just plain cranked out will not follow your expectations.
There's an old saying in police and military operations, the best laid out plan goes to he** immediately at the sound of the first shot. Your adversary isn't in on your plan and he doesn't know what his script is, he didn't read the play book..he does his own thing his own way
I have trained and taught for over 45 years and I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE, when my hand starts to the weapon everything after that is sheer mechanical response , I will draw and fire and I will hit my adversary with every round I fire and I'm an old man now. You waste a round in the ground on a trained individual and you'll be lucky to get the next one off.You don't think about it till its over and most people that have been in a gunfight can't even tell you how many shots they fired till the weapon is checked.

Last edited:
I have learned a lot from this thread. I will definitely become more familiar with the use of lethal force laws. This thread has also reinforced that mindset is the first order of self defense training. I also believe that knowledge is great but useless if not trained in the use of that knowledge. In a high stress situation we don't think. We respond according to how we are "programmed". Some are programmed by Hollywood or the street. Others are programmed with good training.

Read up on Jeff Coopers writings. He is known for being the "Father" of modern pistolcraft. He conceived & refined many of the firearms tactics used today.
One of which was the concept of the "Combative Triad" which enables someone to proficiently use a firearm in self-defense.
The "Combative Triad' is comprised of Gunhandling, Marksmanship, & Mindset.
As you alluded to in your post, Mindset is the most important.

Read up on Jeff Coopers writings. He is known for being the "Father" of modern pistolcraft. He conceived & refined many of the firearms tactics used today.
One of which was the concept of the "Combative Triad" which enables someone to proficiently use a firearm in self-defense.
The "Combative Triad' is comprised of Gunhandling, Marksmanship, & Mindset.
As you alluded to in your post, Mindset is the most important.

Thanks Protective Measures. I ordered "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth". I like good, interesting books that are well-written. The reviews said this book was all three. I ran across a website once that discussed the mindset of different types of perps. I think that would make an interesting and very helpful study. You can never know exactly how someone will act, but some generalities hold true and can help us make better decisions in a SD situations, especially to avoid situations or inadvertently escalating a situation.

Back
Top Bottom