• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let some gentlemen know i was carrying.

The bear (bearpugh) is absolutely correct.....if you are ever unfortunate enough to be in a gunfight and it really is an unfortunate situation, you'll mature very quickly..when afterwards you think it out and realize you didn't have time to think of a lot of fancy moves and tv tricks...if you get to think about it ....that first round you threw away would probably the one that would have had the best chance of saving your life.
In a gunfight every round counts, you don't deliberately sacrifice any hoping it will scare the other guy, because at that distance he doesn't have to be calm and collected and scared people often shoot as well or better than the average bear(oops not you bear..figure of speech only). These tv shoot outs where everyone shoots 20-30 rounds and jumps thru the air spinning and firing with a 45 in each hand is just that tv.
Shootouts for the most part (98% or so) occur within 3-7 feet and for sure under 10 and it will be over in very few seconds even though it will seem like forever..It isn't going to be Matt Dillon at 50 yards and shoot up the dust to spoil his aim. It isn't going to be sighting in on the target at the range...It is going to be point and shoot and you darn well better know how or have 6 rabbits feet in your pocket cause you're going to need them. It'S STONE COLD SURVIVAL!
You'll be so darn close if the adversary misses you , you'll wonder how..It's going to be who is first, fast, accurrate and lucky..all that and more. Find me a gunfight survivor that doesn't feel lucky anyone, anywhere.
I've already said you won't rattle an experienced or drugged indiviual, he'll be doing his best to pump rounds at you and trust me, you won't be thinking of fancy moves...waste a round if you want...it will probably kill you though.
I've seen people on drugs get shot more than once and keep on fighting and I've seen experienced, trained individuals get wounded and still take out the adversay...the reason..they trained until it was automatic response and they felt no debilitating pain until after the fact.
Your VERY best defense is practice of known effective techniques under the supervision of an experienced trainer and leave the development of "original" techniques to people with experience. You don't dance around with "radical" moves (whatever those are)...you train for fire and tactical maneuver using available cover to make yourself as small a target as possible and you train yourself to a level of accurracy while moving from one position to another and you train and train and train until you get there.
I'm not going to argue the point any further, there are a number of members on here with multiple years of traing and experience as instructors and students and I'm quite sure there are some that have survived armed confrontations and we can only do so much to try to pass on knowledge that may save your life..knowledge we gained the hard way, we can't make you listen to it.

Last edited:
Not sure how #164 did that... Maybe I wasn't clear either.
Ultimately it is your life & decision as to how to employ your firearm. I'm not saying by any means your way "is wrong" or "won't work".
I too have a few tactics of my own that I have been thinking about & working on for a LONG time that are a significant departure from what is considered to be the accepted PROVEN standard.
In my line of work, I have to teach proven methods due to liability reasons. If I screw up w/ even a small detail... I just might contribute to someone getting killed or gravely injured. Those of you interested in being Instructors...dwell on that for awhile
I had to think long & hard (no offense anyone, not that I would care too much) as well as pray about it at length.
There are constant yearly advancements in gear & tactics that take considerable study to stay abreast of. However, until they "pass the gauntlet" of review by a wide selection of trusted advisors with many decades of experience as well as some younger fresher opinions from guys just back from, "over there", who will do their level best to disprove them... including my own new "fresh idea" that I may have spent hundreds of hrs. working on.
But until then, I will not teach it to anyone

I like your posts "Bear" ( Did I really just say that?) and I do understand that this is your technique that you are working on and probably decided to use.
In my unasked for opinion, what I see is that you have given this a lot of thought & probably practiced it on the range as well.
If you're comfortable with it... by all means do it, it's your decision. I was & am just encouraging you to run it by other experienced, knowledgable people you may have contact with to look for "holes" in your idea... then, if you still think it's advisable, have at it until you can do it as fast as you safely can.

Either way, it sure is interesting & enjoyable to compare ideas on here

Another sidenote... even though it is a frangible round, bullets can do crazy things. If it is purposefully pointed "away" or "down" it could be directed toward someone you haven't seen who is blindly entering the area of the fight. Plus if an attacker closes distance with you, you might reflexively fire multiple shots that could skip off the pavement if they grab your wrist or arm. I have seen it happen unintentionally during F.O.F. drills up close... don't have to tell you what the D.A. would say about that.

Your call.

Thank you for a well thought out responce. And I really understand that thing about liability.

If you felt threatened beyond any reasonable doubt then YES you were justified in doing so. Assuming the events described above are veracious.

I'd be careful about sharing this sort of event on the internet though, if ever the day should come where you must defend yourself, a prosecutor may use this story to build a case against you.

Just my 02

Last edited:
If you felt threatened beyond any reasonable doubt then YES you were justified in doing so. Assuming the events described above are veracious.

I'd be careful about sharing this sort of event on the internet though, if ever the day should come where you must defend yourself, a prosecutor may use this story to build a case against you.

Just my 02

Good observation.

today as i left kroger and was loading my groceries into my truck 2 gentlemen aproched me and thay were clearly agitated about something.so i turned to ask if i could help them and thay proceded to inform me that i had just cut them off and that thay would like to "f@#k me up" i tryed to inform them that thay were clearly mistaken as i had been shoping for the last half hour but thay wouldent be quiet long enough for me to present my argument.then thay proceaded to brandish there fist and act as if thay had had enough of "this white boy" trying to talk to them so at that point i told them "fellers if you boath want to fight ill have to eaven things up a little"and lifted my shirt.no i didnt need to pull it as thay turned and retreated but i was wondering if i had pulled it would i be on the side of the law or would i have had to take that ass beating that belonged to someone else?

Adam I think you acted with remarkable restraint and good judgement. My carry position is SOB and I WOULD have drawn it(can't bloody well turn around to show it in the holster now can I?). Two against one, bull$%#$%#$%#$%# excuse to accost me and "let's f@#k ME up? No, howza bout I go ahead and exercise my right to defend myself. By the way, I have been slammed most forcefully by another ODTer who pointted out that there is no specific law called "brandishing". Still not sure that's right but I couldn't prove there is.

CCW- I have to respectfully disagree. The law says :

"(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23, a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=3&section=21

Well the best that I can tell after reading this entire post (as some did not) is that besides me, Bearpugh is the only person on this thread has ever drawn a loaded pistol on another person.

I've done it on two occasions.

The first time the other guy was under the influence of alcohol and was waving a 22 rifle around and using abusive and threatening language. I also had my child that was about 4 years old.
This was drawn out what seemed like hours, but only a matter of minutes. I never revealed my weapon but it was drawn and the safety was off. I had cover and I felt reasonably sure that I would be able to pop a couple of round in this guys pumpkin at 30 feet, before he would get that rifle raised.

The second encounter I was shoved from behind by a fellow (unprovoked) into a wall at a glancing blow. The next thing I know I have a GP 100 357 in my hand in this guys face at a distance of about 10 feet (I never had any mirror training). Needless to say I was as shocked as the assailant. I try to go by the don't draw until ready to fire. I didn't shoot and this guy about twice my size decided he really didn't want to pick on the small dog.

All that crap about what you would have done reminds me of the two guys that got stopped by the GSP.
After the GSP slapped the driver for being a smart mouth he walked around and slapped the passenger. The passenger asked the trooper why he slapped him. The trooper responded "ya'll wouldn't have gotten 100 yards down the road when you would have told your buddy I wish that pig would have slapped me like that".

To your mirror drawers; Have you ever gotten the drop on yourself?
Better yet has your image ever outdrawn you?

Back
Top Bottom