• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let some gentlemen know i was carrying.

the way some of thse guys talk i'm sure they've pulled down before. probably everytime an srgument insues. pretty quick on the draw. lol

the way some of thse guys talk i'm sure they've pulled down before. probably everytime an srgument insues. pretty quick on the draw. lol

What they don't understand it doesn't matter how right you are, it will scare the hell out of you. The long drawn out deal with the armed drunk would get me nervous just recounting the story.
I really don't want to shoot anybody but I figure better them than me.

If my lil post came across all John Wayne to you I abjectly apologize. You veteran gun slingers and trainers are right about what you say regarding training and all but some of us regular guys ain't prepared to roll over, dump our guns at home and be victims because we can't live up to those standards. I grew up in SE Atlanta, been mugged, seen friends and family jumped and seen people beaten. I choose NOT to be a victim. Now I try to get as much practice as I can but I can't be taking time off, running across the state, paying trainers to teach me. So I just have to practice on my own and do the best I can. Of course I suppose that all of us who don't spend every dime and every day at the urban combat range and under the expert tuteledge of a combat trainer should really just sell our guns and accept that we are just sheep.

Socrates said "Know thyself". If I say I would have drawn my gun I'm not trying to be some braggart or crap-talker. I'm just speaking from my own experience and from the knowledge I have of my own beliefs and feelings. I also know that my choice of carry and my speed drawing from it are weaknesses in a fast draw scenario. Since I do not plan to change my carry style I know I need to be more PRO-active than RE-active if possible.

Incidentally I HAVE had to draw my gun once. Thankfully I got to holster it cold. I think anyone who pops out with that old "never draw unless you are going to use it" thing are OD'ing on testosterone. If I pull it, I am ready to use it, but if I can put it away cold I am grateful and adding to my prayers of gratitude. And, yes, the time I drew it, it was a scarey experience. Although I'm not sure which scared me more the need to draw it or the razor's edge from shooting someone I came to. Actually I think the fear was from what I ALMOST did. a few years ago I found myself staring at the pointy end of a loaded 30-06 with a pissed off drunk stuck to the stock. Most of what I felt was acceptance of the fact that there wasn't one damn thing I could do about it, not fear.

Last edited:
well i have a GWP, that means i can cc or oc, so if you had your gun covered up and you showed it ,no problem, you can do that.

Exactly what I said back in post 139. He went from concealed to open carry. Not a damn bit of a law broken. Some of these responses are funny. I can't understand why anyone says he was wrong for getting ready to possibly defend himself against people with clinched fists claiming they are going to F him up. That's what the gun is for. To protect your well being. If it's to protect against getting your jaw broken and having your wallet stolen then that's perfectly fine. Don't get why this is still going.

i found myself in a simular situation once before. but it was a single person who also happened to have a knife. they mistook me for someone else. he came up behind me and started yelling at me, i turned around to see the knife. i started retreating and said "dont come at me with that knife" more than once. all this time this mans wife was on the phone with 911. i finnaly lifted my shirt and put my hand on my gun while retreating backwards. never had to draw. at this point i could hear the mans wife screaming to 911 " oh my god hes got a gun". the cops came. the man was arrested, the cops ran my gun to make sure it wasnt stolen. unloaded it and gave back to me asking me to keep it cleared while they were present. one officer gave me hard time about carrying and asked " why in the hell do you carry a gun?" my reply : "the same damn reason you do, to keep me from getting stabbed" he didnt like my answer all that much and try to get his superior to charge me with carrying a concealed weapon. like it would've stuck any way, i have my GFL. he was an idoit.

i never remembered saying it, but one officer told me they could here the 911 call when the woman screamed " he has a gun" then heard me say "well he pulled a knife onme you dumb *****". he said it was the best thing he heard all month.

Last edited:
one officer gave me hard time about carrying and asked " why in the hell do you carry a gun?" my reply : "the same damn reason you do, to keep me from getting stabbed" he didnt like my answer all that much and try to get his superior to charge me with carrying a concealed weapon.
I just don't understand this attitude. I can understand him having a concern about someone being armed but once he sorted through the details and cleared the weapon there shouldn't have been a problem.
When seconds count a cop is just minutes away. This is not a slam on LE because I do have respect for them and the job they do. It is a fact that they can't be everywhere. When you call 911 you needed someone 5 minutes ago.

To the OP:
I hate that this happened to you. I too have been in a similar position and I know how exposed and scary the situation is. I have read every post in this thread and there is a significant amount of really good arguments in this thread. Really good stuff and I know you have guessed and second guessed yourself silly since this happened. I did the same thing after my incident and it motivated me to develop better tactics, more situational awareness, and to hone my skill as a CCW.

The fact is that I learned in the midst of a situation that I was wholly unprepared and I knew that my BEST wasn't good enough at the very moment when I needed to preform my best. In a situation such as this, we rarely perform at our best, in fact, most likely our WORST. So I have done, and continue to do my best to raise my game to a level that will tip the odds back into my favor. I mean ****, shooting is fun, may as well have fun and practice a skill that could save your life!!!
Best of luck in the future!
Is Publix an option?

shane

Back in 1999 I was approached by 4 young punks..."gentlemen". I was fresh out of active duty and in what used to be a decent area but had severely went down hill. They asked for a few dollars for a bus and I backed away and said I was sorry and didn't have any cash. They got agitated and started playing race and saying how white boy was in their neighborhood. Within a couple seconds I realized too late one of them had circled up beside me and when I looked I had a pocket knife leveled at my stomach. That day I lost my wallet and a couple hundred dollars of my travel money.

You better believe when punks of any race, creed or religion want to get angry I will put a truck door or whatever else in between us to try and seperate and disengage the situation. But if they try and advance, I will draw. I can't blame you but I would leave drawing or tipping my hat as a last resort, prefering to get outta dodge or putting space between us and call 911 while keeping my hand where I can quickly draw.

first did you feel the threat of severe bodly harm. if yes you were correct to tip your hand ill say why , if the attack would have escalated you would have had to defend your self any way , so you used your pistol as a deturrent , nothing wrong with that but personally i wouldnt make a habit of it next time just get in the car and let them play out their hand . but i carry for my safty and my familys i often open carry so no petty arguements arise . they see my pistol and weigh the chance of getting involved

Don't even let them get close! When they close the distance and you are cornered you are in trouble. Showing it was fine as far as I am concerned. There was a fight in the local honky tonk and a man was (according to the report) punched ONCE and he died. I won't let someone get that close to me. I had a scummy looking dude engage me in conversation and made a direct beeline to me increasing his walking speed a good bit. He shouted out that he wanted to "talk" to me. I turned to square up with him and put my hand on my pistol that was under my shirt. I told him "no thanks". He saw my hand go to my strong side hip and froze and turned back the other way. Thank God.

Back
Top Bottom