• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let's discuss shooting tripods

ReservoirDawg10

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
406   1
Reaction score
OK, so slowly coming to the realization that I need to become proficient shooting off a tripod with a Hog or Pig Saddle. Obviously, the most popular choices are Manfrotto, NF etc tripods, but I really have no interest in dumping that kind of money into one at the moment. With that said, looking to go with something in the $75 range or so, and topping it with a $100 Pig Saddle. If I love it, and actually end up using it a bunch, I'll upgrade down the round.

I know the military used to fashion their own shooting tripods. Question comes in here. The higher end tripods seem to have a metal ball head - magnesium, aluminum, etc. I can get a tripod with decent weight ratings with a plastic ball head for like $75 or so online. Should I go this route, or go with a more standard tripod that has multiple hinges? I could imagine chewing that plastic ball up pretty quickly sticking a rifle on top that weighs 13 lbs + recoil, but hinges seems as though it would limit movement and take longer to set up. Anyone have experience using the cheaper tripods?

I've only used more expensive tripods, say around $200 and up. I got a very sturdy $200 tripod for free several years ago. I still have it, and I'm using a new NF carbon fiber tripod.

Look for a good used one.

Years ago I made a homemade tripod rifle rest out of PVC and the foam from an Isomat. Worked just fine. I use the purpose-built ones now, but it worked back in the day when no one named one that I could afford at the time.

Years ago I made a homemade tripod rifle rest out of PVC and the foam from an Isomat. Worked just fine. I use the purpose-built ones now, but it worked back in the day when no one named one that I could afford at the time.
Thats why I have the $15 camera tripod,I will never get to shoot at the big show and it serves its purpose.

Thats why I have the $15 camera tripod,I will never get to shoot at the big show and it serves its purpose.

Should work for most things, main issues would be stability and how much weight it will hold. If you've got a 15-16lb stick, chances are the $15 bipod ain't gonna be the best option. Using a lightweight M4 or hunting rifle, should work fine.

For the most part, my tripod is used under my NF TS-82 spotting scope when I teach classes. I need to be able to adjust rapidly around the range, then lock down solid when I don't want it to move. Needs to be stable to allow me to follow vapor trails and see splashes downrange, at distances of 1,000yds and more.

The NF carbon fiber tripod is a joy to use. My favorite parts is that it all folds up and stores into a package about the size of a presentation box of a fifth of Scotch. Doesn't take up much room and the carrying case has a shoulder strap.

Should work for most things, main issues would be stability and how much weight it will hold. If you've got a 15-16lb stick, chances are the $15 bipod ain't gonna be the best option. Using a lightweight M4 or hunting rifle, should work fine.

For the most part, my tripod is used under my NF TS-82 spotting scope when I teach classes. I need to be able to adjust rapidly around the range, then lock down solid when I don't want it to move. Needs to be stable to allow me to follow vapor trails and see splashes downrange, at distances of 1,000yds and more.

The NF carbon fiber tripod is a joy to use. My favorite parts is that it all folds up and stores into a package about the size of a presentation box of a fifth of Scotch. Doesn't take up much room and the carrying case has a shoulder strap.
Like I said I wont be doing the shooting you guys do.Carry on and good shooting

Back
Top Bottom