• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let's hear your .260 Rem loads

jpm2953

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
402   0
Reaction score
I am picking up my Tikka T3 on Friday and I can't wait to work up a good hunting load for it. What's your favorite load? I'm going to try to stay with 120gr bullets. I have plenty of Remington 9 1/2 primers and some H4350 but I can get other powders to try.

You are using the powder of choice.I don't know about the 120's because I don't know the twist rate on the Tikka's but all the one's that I have shot were accurate.

I reload for a Rem. model 7 Stainless 260 Rem.. Good loads for my rifle are the 140 gr. Hornady SP over 41.5 gr of VV N160 and the 129 gr. Hornady SST bullet over 42 gr of H 4350. I have killed two bucks with the SST bullets and everything inside looked like jello when I field dressed them. Both were right behind shoulder. No tracking.
I tried several recipes with 120 gr Barnes X bullets but could not get the accuracy I wanted.
As an aside, I have a Tikka T3 lite in 308 and it shoots 1/2" groups with 150 gr. Hornady Whitetail factory ammo. The Tikkas are very accurate.

Reloading for your your 260, even if you use new brass, we suggest the following,

resize the brass turn the brass 120 degrees, resize again, 120 degrees again, and resize one last time turning the brass one last time.
square up your primer pocket
use a flash hole reamer to make the flash hole a true a circular passage also
lastly trim the brass
then we use only large mag primers,

then powder
seat the bullet (make a notation of the seating depth)

then its just adjust and try, adjust and try....

Never change any of the above at the same time if you do its just a dog chasing the tail routine...

just my experience..

How bout REMMY, what do you have to offer on this....

these are just suggestions which have served us well over the years...(:>0)............

I agree with yoteshooter,find your powder charge and then play with seating depth if needed.The 260 is a easy caliber to find a load for,but you did not state what kind of bullets you were going to use.I do not share charge weights with anybody for safety reasons.Every gun and person is different.

Back
Top Bottom