• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

let's talk .22 ammo

scandmx5

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
30   0
Reaction score
Well I want to hear what other people are shooting in their 22 rifles for range. Preferably people that like to shoot good groups. I have always been a fan of Aguila Super Max for shooting fun, but for the past few weekends I have been trying to find out what groups the best out of my Model 60. I know it's not a competition gun, but I want it to be head shot accurate for squirrels come January. I tried some Federal Gold Medal, and wow that stuff is great. I was making nickel sized 5 shot groups at 50 yds with a lil Tasco 3-9x40. If I was using a bigger power scope, surely I could improve that group. I have heard rave reviews of Wolf Match Grade, but I loaded it up and the first shell wouldn't even eject... I had to manually pull it out of the pipe. I currently have a box of 49 now :lol: Don't think I'll be using that. What works best for you?

I have 2 models 60's and one that I got from my dad all it will shoot are remington subsonics, and at 50yrds put them in a dime size group. And my other one it wouldn't shoot any but if had a broke recoil spring an got a new one in but havn't shot it hope it will shoot mini mags pretty good.

How is it working out for you?

It ran seamlessly with Aguila Super Max, with the gold medal I had 3 jams out of 50. Nothing difficult, just had to assist seating the round. I'm going to try the Wolf again tomorrow and see what happens. (Supposedly this stuff is the tits) I had to pull the casing out with a knife though.

I have heard rave reviews of Wolf Match Grade, but I loaded it up and the first shell wouldn't even eject... I had to manually pull it out of the pipe. I currently have a box of 49 now :lol: Don't think I'll be using that.

Really? Wow, that's too bad. I love the stuff - it shoots the smallest groups in both my Cooper and built 10/22. It did great in my CZ 453, too, before I sold it. Too bad it's so pricey, though. I've found it for as little as $45/500, but $50 to $55 is more typical.

CCI SV (standard velocity) shoots very well for me, too, at a more reasonable price.

Blazer is pretty good, and just a bit more expensive than most bulk.

I use Fed AutoMatch in my pistols when I can find it, but then again I'm not shooting so much for the last bit of accuracy - I've got a long way to go shooting a pistol off-hand before the ammo matters that much.

I've also got a few bricks left of PMC Zapper that's great, but good luck finding that. I think it's been off the market for a few years.

ETA: I've found that I have to shoot 10 to 25 rounds before the barrel 'seasons' to a particular ammo before the good groups start showing up. When I'm testing ammo I make sure to shoot a full box, and really only look at the last groups to see the full potential.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom