• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lets talk pellets

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
So I got a pellet smoker last night. I forgot to get some pellets though. What brand and kinds do you use for what meats?

I see Home Depot has Taeger pellets but most of the flavors or types I have to order. I was some cherry and pecan based on a video I saw for ribs I think but whats another good general kind?

I have a RecTec and grabbed 200# when i picked it up. Currently into my 3rd 40# bag. I like the fruit wood mix in mine. However, hickory and oak were good also.

I have a RecTec and grabbed 200# when i picked it up. Currently into my 3rd 40# bag. I like the fruit wood mix in mine. However, hickory and oak were good also.

Ok I'll try to pick up some hickory since I think I can get that locally and I'll order some apple, cherry and pecan.

I heard someone say once that the wood doesn't add a lot of flavor, is that true? If thats the case I wonder why there are so many different ones.

There is a difference in flavor. However, depending on what you are cooking the wood smoke helps enhance the flavor. Buy a large pack of thick sliced bacon to season it with. I'll shoot you a pm later and give you a few more tips on things to do. Which brand did you get?

There is a difference in flavor. However, depending on what you are cooking the wood smoke helps enhance the flavor. Buy a large pack of thick sliced bacon to season it with. I'll shoot you a pm later and give you a few more tips on things to do. Which brand did you get?

Thanks.

I ended up getting a Pit Boss 700 from Walmart.

As the story goes a friend of mine whose like grandpa to me called me and said that he was at Walmart and they have 2 smokers without any price. He talked to a manager and the manager said he would put $200 on them. I did some research and found out what model they were and they are normally listed at $400. Reviews seem good especially for $400 but how much more so for $200? I went there Tuesday night and they still had the 2 but last night I went back and 1 was sold so I went ahead and get it.

I originally wanted a Traeger or Yoder but I'm new to this and would rather start cheap before investing big bucks.

I got a pit boss. On sale fer 300 Ace Hardware. I mostly grill things at higher temps. I will smoke ribs 4hrs. Then wrap them and put them in the oven for 3 hrs low temp. I also use...... wait for it.....heating pellets from tractor supply. 100% hardwood, no glue or paraffin binders, dies are lubricated with vegetable oil(cheaper than petrolium) I did some research. I found a detailed explanation of how the pellets are made. Treager uses oils added to hardwood pellets to produce different aroma smoke. There may be pellets that are 100% oak or hickory but the process and manufacturers are the same

I got a pit boss. On sale fer 300 Ace Hardware. I mostly grill things at higher temps. I will smoke ribs 4hrs. Then wrap them and put them in the oven for 3 hrs low temp. I also use...... wait for it.....heating pellets from tractor supply. 100% hardwood, no glue or paraffin binders, dies are lubricated with vegetable oil(cheaper than petrolium) I did some research. I found a detailed explanation of how the pellets are made. Treager uses oils added to hardwood pellets to produce different aroma smoke

Why not just finish the ribs on the smoker?

6.5 hours on a smoker at 225 and with very little effort this is what you can do. I added a removable second shelf that allows for 4 more racks if needed.
upload_2017-7-27_19-58-36.png

Back
Top Bottom