• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let's talk trucks.

So.....you have a personal beef with the company. That probably explains your opinion to some degree.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep brand either. With the exception of their HD trucks with Cummins engines in them.

I won't go into bragging about how big the company a work for is or my resume of over 30 years in the industry.

I will tell you that I currently own
2- 1/2 ton Z71's gas.
1- F250 Powerstroke.
1- 3500 Ram, Cummins.
All 4x4's

If I were selling them all today to one truck. If it was to be gas it would be a GMC.

Diesel.
Dodge/Cummins
GMC/ Duramax.
The Duramax would be my first choice. But I'm not sure I would chose it over the Cummins for the price.

The Power stroke is a POS. I have spent more time and money keeping it running than anything I have ever owned. I keep it because my kid likes it. But then again. He's a kid. It is the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Hard to start. Drives like crap. Rides like crap. Now.....it's a good looking truck for sure but that's about the only thing nice I have to say about it.

My GMC's are show horses.
The Cummins is the work horse
The Ford is the donkey in the pasture.

What year/engine is the powerstroke?

The current power stroke is a
03' 7.3.

After the 6.0 disaster ( the kid still wanted a ford ). I told him to find the last year model with a 7.3 in it.

In full disclosed. I'm not a Ford guy. Never have been.
Between all the red neck kids, in laws and co workers. I am surrounded with trucks. Most of them diesel and most of them juiced up to some degree or another.

I mostly form my opinions based off of stock trucks. The boys love the 6.0's because of the horse power they produce if you want to spend the big bucks to bullet proof them.

If I have to improve it to pull anything heavier than groceries. I'm not interested.

So i have been shopping for the last week or two for a 2011-2016 F250/350. The punch list is a 2011-2016 crew cab 6.7L diesel with 4wd and under 100,000 miles give or take. So far i have found plenty of trucks out in Texas that fit my needs. Problem is the more and more i deal with my turbo diesel vans the more and more i want to switch to a gas Ford Transit. Am i crazy to consider the 6.2L V8? The most i will need to tow is 10-12,000 pounds once or twice a month over a distance of 500 miles. Typical weight would be 3,500 pounds to 8,000 pounds anywhere from 100 miles to 500 miles. The numbers i am seeing are 9-12 mpg towing with the 6.2L and 10-15 towing with the 6.7L. Would i realistically be able to get 300-400,000 miles out of a 6.2L or would i need to consider upgrading the truck every 4 years? All of our diesels are between 200,000 and 400,000 miles but when something breaks you just lost a quarter of your yearly salary to fix it. No DEF, no DPF, and no diesel repairs sounds sort of nice.

Feel free to talk me out of or into one or the other. Thanks.

images.autotrader.com_images_2017_1_5_447_376_43566306760.447376894.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x377.jpg

Your reasoning for not wanting a diesel and what you're looking for was similar to what I went through 4 years ago. I ended up with a 2012 cc f250 with a 6.2 after dealing with a 6.0 psd. There are things I like about it and and some undesirables. First off, I have heard hardly anything bad about the 6.2 being unreliable, especially compared to just about any diesel. It is by no means close to diesel in power, but if you're not towing "heavy" all the time, it may work for you. I can hop in my truck without thinking of Def fluid, fuel conditioners, draining a fuel water separator, or an astronomical repair bill after the warranty is up.

My biggest gripe with the truck is a vibration between 46-50 and 65-68 mph that Ford can't fix, it is wayyy more common than what you will find googling. Ford will keep telling you the tires are out of spec and can't be balanced even after trying several sets. There is a major reason why they finally changed the frame design for 2017, unfortunately it took them over 10 years to do something about it. I also had to add an extra leaf to the rear springs because an unloaded landscape trailer would squat the rear much lower than the front. There are a few smaller things that have been annoying and overall enough to make me consider a different truck/brand next time around after owning only Fords all my life.ì

Many of the medium duty market customers (landscaping trucks etc.) have gotten fed up with the new post emission era of diesel trucks and the higher price of fuel and gone back to gas engines. The new technology required to get Diesel engines to pass stricter and stricter emissions has put the heavy duty industry into a tail spin. Lots of down time. Lots of things that will derate or shut down an engine. Big dollars for repairs. The technology is improving. If I were going to go with a diesel, it would have to be a new one with the latest technology and a warranty. Or I'd buy a pre emissions truck. As far a gas engine go in today's pickup trucks. I'm not sure about hauling that much load for that distance. I'm not really up to speed on the newer gas engines for heavy hauling. But I'd sure be tempted if I thought I could do the job with gas.

Your reasoning for not wanting a diesel and what you're looking for was similar to what I went through 4 years ago. I ended up with a 2012 cc f250 with a 6.2 after dealing with a 6.0 psd. There are things I like about it and and some undesirables. First off, I have heard hardly anything bad about the 6.2 being unreliable, especially compared to just about any diesel. It is by no means close to diesel in power, but if you're not towing "heavy" all the time, it may work for you. I can hop in my truck without thinking of Def fluid, fuel conditioners, draining a fuel water separator, or an astronomical repair bill after the warranty is up.

My biggest gripe with the truck is a vibration between 46-50 and 65-68 mph that Ford can't fix, it is wayyy more common than what you will find googling. Ford will keep telling you the tires are out of spec and can't be balanced even after trying several sets. There is a major reason why they finally changed the frame design for 2017, unfortunately it took them over 10 years to do something about it. I also had to add an extra leaf to the rear springs because an unloaded landscape trailer would squat the rear much lower than the front. There are a few smaller things that have been annoying and overall enough to make me consider a different truck/brand next time around after owning only Fords all my life.ì

I'll be in Mobile Tuesday and the dealer there has several identical trucks new used gas and diesel. I think I am going to do some side by side comparison. Also on a side note I just stopped for fuel in Jackson, Ms and had to top off the DEF.

I'll be in Mobile Tuesday and the dealer there has several identical trucks new used gas and diesel. I think I am going to do some side by side comparison. Also on a side note I just stopped for fuel in Jackson, Ms and had to top off the DEF.

You fill it up at the pump at the truck stops?

Back
Top Bottom