• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Leveling Scope

ctcw92

Law Enforcement Supporter
Frontiersman
54   0
Reaction score
Ok folks I could use some help. Im currently trying to level my scope with my rifle. I have the wheeler bubble levels. I stick the one level in the action and make sure it's dead center. I took the elevation cap off and stick the 2nd level on it. I then level my scope to the level on the action till they are both dead center according to the levels. But when I look through the scope, the reticle appears to cant down and left. When I turn the scope to adjust the reticle to be centered by my eye the levels are off. Can any one help me?

That drives me nuts. I have done the same thing several times. Then I started doing this. Rifle in my led sled tighten down with Velcro straps. I then hang a colored string on the center of a door jam with a weight on the end. I line of the scope with the string hanging down. While holding the scope I then alternate tightening the screws slowly. This has worked well enough for me that I quit using the levels

My favorite way is the bubble level in the action centered, rifle pointed out the window at a neighbors house and line up the vertical hair with the corner of the house.

My favorite way is the bubble level in the action centered, rifle pointed out the window at a neighbors house and line up the vertical hair with the corner of the house.
They could have foundation shifting. I line it up the vertical, and horizontal reticles of the scope on their window frames, they're always square.

If your rifle's action has a shelf to rest the level on both sides, like a Rem 700 does, trust the levels, not your eye. I have used this leveling system on many rifles and it works. I double check every time by doing the hanging rope thing and it's always dead on. This is assuming your scope doesn't have a problem.

If your action doesn't have two shelves, you need to find something else on the rifle that is a flat horizontal surface.

If you're using the level level level from Wheeler, double check to make sure the bottoms of your level are true. I've seen some that were not flat on the bottom, causing the level to shift.

My neighbor did that one day and then found out we were sighting in a new scope called me up and said is that thing loaded and we asked him the same and he quit using our house for his focal point from then on. We live about 1/4 mile part, when he saw my eye in his scope he lost all control and had a clean up in isle #3.... So just be sure your neighbor is not sighting in his new prize also...

Back
Top Bottom