• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lever action pistol calibers -prices have to be a joke!?!

I got a marlin bought in the late 70 or early 80s in 44 mag. Bought my grandson a henry steel 357 last summer. If any of you got a henry steel 44mag I'll trade my marlin for it. The henry is a much better gun than the marlin. My dad bought 2 new marlin big loop levers in the last 2 years. They are not any less quality than my 2 marlins from the 70/ 80s i. These poor quality Marlins I keep hearing about are like UFOs. Somebody else saw one but I still haven't.

Oh, the junk Marlins definitely exist. It sounds like you just managed to avoid them.... I bought one of the last post-JM 38/357 Remlins to come off the line a 5-6 years back. Never saw another one in a store (new) after that.

It was a total POS. Tooling marks and burrs everywhere. Two different parts that broke within 500 rounds. Parts that didn't fit well together and had to be stones, or in one case filed down to get proper function.

It took lots of time and elbow grease just to get that gun into the shape a JM would have been in from the factory.

Even Remington/Marlin execs admitted in public (I heard one long interview on Tom Gresham's show) that the post-move guns never were built to the same quality as the JM. The tooling was old and broken. The skilled machinists who ran them and knew all their quirks had been left behind in CT. And last but not least, they didn't have accurate build documentation and drawings.

To produce the new 44 magnum guns, the new 45 LC/70 guns, and the just-announced 38/357 guns, they had to buy new tooling and essentially take the old guns apart and develop new drawings based on them, and then update those for the new production lines.

The 44s and 45s they reintroduced in the last couple of years seem to be pretty good. My 45 LC is a solid rifle, although some of the attention to details like stock fitting and shaping still aren't quite JM quality. Hopefully the 38/357 guns will be the same.

I had a 2009 model 1894 JM stamped .357 that was junk. Sloppy metal to metal fit, jerky action.
My 2015 and 2016 “remlins” are pretty dang nice. They have definitely improved.

The prices are high because people know that others will pay that much to have one.

Is it crazy ? Yepp !

Would I pay the price for one if I had the extra cash ? Yepp :0)

I had a 2009 model 1894 JM stamped .357 that was junk. Sloppy metal to metal fit, jerky action.
My 2015 and 2016 “remlins” are pretty dang nice. They have definitely improved.

The 2009 models are kind of on the cusp. From what I read that was when the move happened from the old plant to Remington. If it had an "REP" proof mark on it it would have been a Rem-built gun even if it was made using old "JM" parts.

Simply a matter of supply and demand. A rifle of the type is a necessary item if you participate in Cowboy Action Shooting. Also, some folks just like lever-action rifles and therefore the prices can be higher for the more popular brands/calibers.

Reactions: JWC
Back
Top Bottom