• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

lever gun caliber suppressed?

great info guys. As stated, I currently have a dead air ghost 45 can and they said it'll handle 44 subsonic loads all day. I don't need to run full house loads in that one. My thoughts had been 300gr cast/coated or 300 XTP's.

I have a Ruger 96/44 lever gun with rotary mag (thing 10/22 but 44 mag sized) and talked to a guy a few months ago about threading it (D. Wilson) but was waiting to see what was out at SHOT this year with regards to lever guns and threading. There are a few options now. Will probably send him my Ruger and see if he can thread it but it's getting thin at the muzzle.

I'll probably end up with a 45/70 and the DA Primal and then figure out a few loads for that but I think that the 38 or 44/45 versions might be more fun for plinking. I've got plenty of 38/357/44special/mag/45 colt/schofield brass to work for any of those calibers.

FYI I just like lever guns more than bolt guns but both are pretty damn quiet when you throw a can on them, hence the questions...

The ideal suppressed lever action rifle for me would not only be in a caliber that fires big bullets, just under the speed of sound, but it would have an appropriate twist rate in the rifling to stabilize extremely heavy bullets.

Ya see, if I'm limiting my velocity to 1070 ft./s, I'd rather hit a deer with a 350 grain bullet at that speed rather than with a 185 grain bullet!

But some lever guns come with a very slow twist rate for the rifling, meant to stabilize short lightweight bullets.

Purpose, weight, twist, are all the important variables. Of course where you are with reloading and cans is important.
Great info here so far with these posted experiences. GO ODT.
Learning alot here as usual.

I have a gen 1 octane. Sico said full house 44 mag out of a 16" bbl was good to go. I can forward you the email if you like

Interesting... I called them and was told that some 44 Magnum was loaded too hot for regular use with the Octane and that I was on my own if it damaged it. Still, if you have it in 'writing' you should be good to go, and that makes a 44 threaded lever gun something I'll be looking at hard.

158gr 38spl out of a lever action is pretty quiet. I have the Rossi. It’s top eject, so scout scope or red dot. But works just fine with irons. Have several suppressors that will work on it but keep my old aac evo on it, with it being lever action and no noise escaping I find that the type of suppressor doesn’t really matter as much, sounds about the same when I’ve shot it with my sico, rugged, aac tirant etc. at the ear tirant 45 is probably best due to volume. But I’m definitely no expert, except BS, I’m definitely an expert on that!
Rossi 92? Was it factory threaded or did you get it threaded? I would love to have mine threaded.

Rossi 92? Was it factory threaded or did you get it threaded? I would love to have mine threaded.
It’s the triple black. If I remember correctly I got it off grab a gun. Just signed up for a back in stock email, waited around a week and it popped up. Probably around 2 years ago.

6C3441C1-F479-4026-81F0-35370FDDA0C7.jpeg

It’s the triple black. If I remember correctly I got it off grab a gun. Just signed up for a back in stock email, waited around a week and it popped up. Probably around 2 years ago.

View attachment 3931347
That’s awesome. Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom