• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Liability for Shooting Robbers

I have often wondered after reading posts on this site if some members see them selves as a Charles Bronson with the gun permit and carry weapon?..

I mean my personal belief is my carry permit and carry weapon is my LAST resort..
The absolute LAST thing to me..after hiding and even trying to flee..is to draw my weapon and defend MY life.

Just this week in San Antonio a weapon holder took on armed robbers in a mall shootout..Didnt turn out well.
The weapons holder and another good Samaritan(who didn't even have a gun)..took on the robbers and the guy without a gun was shot dead..the guy with the carry permit did hit one of the robbers but was also hit and in the shootout several innoceents were also hit..
Turned into a ugly mess..
And the local police admitted he may have SAVED many more lives and proclaimed him a hero (FWIW).
I would hope shooting is always the last choice. No sane person relishes having to live with taking the life of another. However, if you absolutely can't fathom the thought of having to use it to defend you or others, don't carry. You probably will get someone needlessly killed.

But for the fact that the perp brandished a weapon and thretened others with harm, no one would have been injured. The good Samaritan is blameless.
Indeed. Anyone can get sued civilly for anything. We've had multiple threads about "Would you get involved?" and they are always interesting if not telling. I doubt anyone can come up with a scenario where there isn't a risk of liability in the use of a firearm. If legal liability is your primary concern, just don't carry (or stay home). The risk of you needing a firearm are FAR less than the risks the OP outlined in his post. The overwhelming odds are I'll never need to pull my firearm and that is my expectation and hope. Like fire insurance, I still have it just in case because the risk isn't worth it.

And the local police admitted he may have SAVED many more lives and proclaimed him a hero (FWIW).
I would hope shooting is always the last choice. No sane person relishes having to live with taking the life of another. However, if you absolutely can't fathom the thought of having to use it to defend you or others, don't carry. You probably will get someone needlessly killed.

I hadn't seen any reports since the incident happened..

And I never said I couldn't fathom defending myself...(that's why I carry)
am I going to take on robbers at the mall?..nope.

I agree. I doubt I'll never need it, really need it, but it's comforting to know it's there and I'm skilled in its use. If I thought I or anyone in my charge was in danger, I'd absolutely use it to stop the threat. I wouldn't have to think about that. My money and freedom are afterthoughts when I think or have reason to believe that me or mine are in danger.

I'm not sure about the OP's scenario.

I hadn't seen any reports since the incident happened..

And I never said I couldn't fathom defending myself...(that's why I carry)
am I going to take on robbers at the mall?..nope.
I was speaking in generalities about the tone of the thread.
There is ONE time and ONE time only (well for me). Do I feel my life or that of my family's is in danger? It's that simple. In that situation how is there any other answer, regardless of 'risks'. Exactly what civil risks over rides your survival instinct?
I'm not hunting down a nut job in a mall 300 yards away.
But again... no one ever knows unless they've been there. Here's hoping none of us ever are.

.5% chance of homicide being committed is high enough for me to draw. My two young children that would be incapable of fleeing means I am drawing. I came to the conclusion a while ago when another adult barreled over my child, who was standing next to my grocery buggy, that extreme violence to protect my family from any threat really isn't that far away.

Back
Top Bottom