• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Liability for Shooting Robbers

I guess before you decide to draw on a drawn gun it would be wise to check your "backstops" make sure that there and no civilians behind you or too close to you and likewise with him.

The hypos that OP presented above are incredibly fact driven. It's hard to determine whether or not the use of lethal force would be justified or not and a judge would likely be inclined to examine the totality of the circumstances. Interesting examination into the scope of a self-defense justification. Practically speaking, even in the absence of a finding of tort liability, the financial and emotional costs of litigation may be quite high.

I guess before you decide to draw on a drawn gun it would be wise to check your "backstops" make sure that there and no civilians behind you or too close to you and likewise with him.
That's the perfect example. In a public situation, (particularly retail) there is very little chance you are going to have any clue at all what is behind that wall. Even if you think you know what is 'supposed' to be behind the wall, you have no idea what happened in the last 10 seconds. Hell it could be 20 toddlers. If a person is going to run through every possible scenario in their head about what 'bad' could come of it, leave it holstered or at home but there is a 100% chance you can come up with a 'bad' scenario as the OP pointed out.
I'm not saying forethought is not prudent. It is. I'm saying it's very easy to make it an exercise in futility.

That's the perfect example. In a public situation, (particularly retail) there is very little chance you are going to have any clue at all what is behind that wall. Even if you think you know what is 'supposed' to be behind the wall, you have no idea what happened in the last 10 seconds. Hell it could be 20 toddlers. If a person is going to run through every possible scenario in their head about what 'bad' could come of it, leave it holstered or at home but there is a 100% chance you can come up with a 'bad' scenario as the OP pointed out.
I'm not saying forethought is not prudent. It is. I'm saying it's very easy to make it an exercise in futility.

Yeah there's never going to be 100% perfect scenario but at least assess what you can see, not saying to run through all the bad scenarios just minimize risk.

Yeah there's never going to be 100% perfect scenario but at least assess what you can see, not saying to run through all the bad scenarios just minimize risk.
Always, but in most situations, the risk trying to be 'minimized' is the bad guy with a gun.

Nonliberal, thanks for the kind words.
Here's a link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Weapons-Laws-Laypersons-Summary/dp/1514871327
If you guys at Dobbs Defense want to carry it, call me about wholesale pricing to retail dealers. We've got an even better deal with the printer now than we had a year ago.

Other retailers that carry it are Ga Firing Line (Marietta), Sharpshooters USA (Roswell), Big Woods Goods (Canton), Cherokee Gun & Pawn (Canton-- order pending), Moss Pawn (Jonesboro), Autry's Armory (Fayetteville), Johns Creek Indoor Range, TruePrep (Marietta), Patrick's (Savannah), and a few others that I just can't think of right now.

Don't know what it takes, but it would be good to see this in the Kindle format.

When choosing to use your firearm to defend yourself or someone else, the best you can do is to understand the laws which govern our actions, train with your weapon and pray, that if/when the time comes, you do the right thing. No matter what the law says or what everyone else thinks, you still have to face yourself in the mirror for the rest of your life. That will be your harshest judge.

No matter the circumstances or legalese, should someone decide to go after you for civil liability, right and wrong go out the window. We all hope that truth and justice prevail, but I've seen some pretty crazy stuff in civil courts that boggled the mind. If you are going to carry a weapon and think you will use it in defense of yourself or others, consider some type of insurance if you can afford it. If you're lucky, you'll never need it. If not, and if you have assets, you will wish you had it.

Good food for thought.

I've often wondered about this, like with the shooting in FL. I know it was different because he was an active shooter, but what if you fire back and hurt or kill a bystander? That is something you'll have to live with forever. I've never had to deal with any shooting incident and would like to think that if I had to I would react accordingly, but who knows. I have quite a few friends who were in the military and to see how they move and are aware of there surroundings I think you can only really get from actually being in those type of situations. I feel that police even fall into this a lot, They're called into a dangerous situation and have to react accordingly. Unfortunately a lot of time after the dust has settled come to find out there could of been a better way to handle it. When ever I see these story's on the news they hurt me. I hate to see the judgement that comes out with the way our media portray's everything. I know that they weren't there and had they been they would probably say something different about the situation, hind sight is always 20/20. Police are humans to and can make the wrong decision just like everyone else, and I feel that there is many times that a good LEO gets punished for doing his/her job. I think that with all the training in the world until you've been in situations you don't know just how you'll react. It falls under the fight, flight, or freeze. I don't want anyone to think that I am talking bad about LEO, I am extremely grateful for what they do and don't think I could do it myself. I try to go out of my way to tell them thank you for there service.

I have often wondered after reading posts on this site if some members see them selves as a Charles Bronson with the gun permit and carry weapon?..

I mean my personal belief is my carry permit and carry weapon is my LAST resort..
The absolute LAST thing to me..after hiding and even trying to flee..is to draw my weapon and defend MY life.

Just this week in San Antonio a weapon holder took on armed robbers in a mall shootout..Didnt turn out well.
The weapons holder and another good Samaritan(who didn't even have a gun)..took on the robbers and the guy without a gun was shot dead..the guy with the carry permit did hit one of the robbers but was also hit and in the shootout several innoceents were also hit..
Turned into a ugly mess..

I ofter see post where it seams some almost hope for a situation where they will get the chance to use their firearm. I would not avocate hiding or running away, however shooting someone should not be a goal in life.
B/C it is legal to do something does not mean you should. It would be legal to shoot someone robbing a store with a baseball bat if you were in fear of your life or someone elses, however it would be more reasonable to give them the option to surender if you could do so without putting yourself or other in harms way.

Once you take a life you will live with that everday, it does not go away, it gets less but is always in there in the back of your mind.

I carry daily and am perpared to use deadly force if necessary, the key word being necessary.

Back
Top Bottom