Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. 10 Year Anniversary Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 1, 2021 - Click here for tickets and click here for info!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  3. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Life Advice?

Thread in 'The Men's Health Forum' started by Bailen, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Bailen

Bailen Tracker

Rating
    100%
    I wasn’t sure where else to post this. Here’s what’s going on though. Im struggling to find my purpose in life, if any at all. Im currently 22 (about to be 23), have been going to college very inconsistently with a couple semesters here and there with plenty of breaks in between. The reason for this is because I can’t seem to figure out what I’m good at or what I want to do. It’s all very overwhelming and I’m getting flustered seeing all my friends graduate while I’m still over here messing around. I know you guys can’t exactly tell me what I should be doing, but I’m hoping someone can share a similar experience and help point me in the right direction.

2. coach482

coach482 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'm 60 and don't know want I want to do when I grow up.

3. BamaFan

BamaFan The Hen that laid the Golden Legos Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Testing could be a huge help. I would go to a professional who can administer legit aptitude test(s). You can find out what comes naturally to you, which is often an indication of something you may enjoy. Sometimes the challenge is figuring out how to monetize our abilities (or finding a balance of I like this/I can make a living at this how?).

A lot of people your age are in the same boat as you - don't fret, just move forward. One way to find your way is to try different jobs, too. You're at an age where you can job hop and it won't be held against you.

4. furious

furious Don't let yesterday use up too much of today. Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Don't measure your life by others. Everyone is different and have different ways of doing things. You're not behind anyone.

My life advice? Join the National Guard. You'll continue your education while growing self confidence and new skills. The ASVAB will test you and give them some idea of what jobs you'd be good at. Something as simple as completing your first ruck march can change your entire outlook on life.....Especially when you see how many people are behind you.

Deployment is WAY down. Most likely you'll spend most of your time at your local armory. 2 days a month, 2 weeks a year. There, you'll build a new group of friends and contacts. You'll find a career one way or another.

If nothing else you can stay in the NG for 20 years and have a retirement to look forward to.

5. fastfish66

fastfish66 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Rating
    100%
    Join the Armed Forces, they will square you away. If nothing else they will stop the whining.

6. Bailen

Bailen Tracker

Rating
    100%
    Believe it or not this is something I’ve looked into already. It all sounded very promising, however I was turned down by my recruiter due to the fact that I have ADHD.

7. Plinker66

Plinker66 Bona Fide Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Go to work in a skilled trade. Electrical mechanical plumbing heavy equipment operator, CDL, etc
    Should be plenty of work near Dawsonville for the next thirty years
    National guard/military sounds good too.

8. Bailen

Bailen Tracker

Rating
    100%
    It’s something I’m trying to get into a learn more about. I did not grow up in a religious family, and am not super familiar with it all. I have been speaking with some friends about it recently though, trying to go into it all with an open mind and see what happens!

THREEJAYS likes this.
  9. jackrabbit

jackrabbit Frontiersman Supporter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Exactly, was the best thing for me in 1961. Gave me 4 years to grow up, get discipline and decide what I wanted to do. Free room/board, health care, 30 days a year vacation, and college tuition when completed. Also low VA home purchase rates at the time.

10. Bailen

Bailen Tracker

Rating
    100%
    Quick update for everyone recommending going into the guard or any other service. I am literally not capable of doing this due to my ADHD. I’ve looked into it and was turned away by all recruiters.