• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Life Advice?

I wasn’t sure where else to post this. Here’s what’s going on though. Im struggling to find my purpose in life, if any at all. Im currently 22 (about to be 23), have been going to college very inconsistently with a couple semesters here and there with plenty of breaks in between. The reason for this is because I can’t seem to figure out what I’m good at or what I want to do. It’s all very overwhelming and I’m getting flustered seeing all my friends graduate while I’m still over here messing around. I know you guys can’t exactly tell me what I should be doing, but I’m hoping someone can share a similar experience and help point me in the right direction.
I don’t believe in destiny at all. We are the sum total of our choices and experiences in the past. So, while I have regrets, if I did anything different I may not have the wife an child I do now and I would not change that for the world. Having said that........

I did joint enrollment while in high school; was just a few credit hours shy of being a sophomore in college when I graduated high school. I wanted to go to law school, then got to know a few lawyers and changed my mind. Spend the next 8 (!) years dicking around in college because I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. I wasted a lot of my parents money, killed a lot of brain cells doing stupid ****, and lost what should have been good years being a waste.

I finally graduated and started working in a restaurant in Atlanta making good money (restaurant life is great if you’re young. I highly recommend everyone do it for at least 6 months). I loved the work and made a career out of that. The money was great, the company was good (don’t work for a lame ass company that doesn’t offer benefits. You’ll thank me when you retire at 50.) and I kept getting promoted at work. It was fun until it wasn’t.

After years of restaurant life I made a career change in my late 30’s to booze sales. It offered better hours and more time with my family. I found a passion for wine, became a sommelier, and love my job again.

Find something you enjoy. But something that pays the bills, too. Money can’t buy happiness but you can’t pay your rent with smiles and rainbows.

What do you like to do in life? What is your passion? What kind of work makes you happy? Sometimes it takes a while to find it but keep trying.

And, don’t be a mopey ass energy black hole. Enjoy whatever you do and do it to your fullest and best and you’ll be happier in general.

I’ve been where you are. I probably shouldn’t have wasted time in college and done all that liver damage, but I love my life now and get to have fun at work almost every day.

Not quite the case. I’m currently working 40 hours a week as a delivery driver and going to school. I’m doing this so I CAN get ahead and support myself. I’m not going to sit here and allow myself to fall into the 9-5 trap for the rest of my life and hate what I do. This is why I’m here, trying to hear from other who may have experienced something similar and hear what others have to say. I don’t feel entitled to anything nor do I feel the world owes me a handout. You got the wrong one.

Well damn, this is the first thing you’ve post that showed any balls... seems you’re headed in the right direction and really have a plan on what you want just not sure how to get it sorted out. Many on here have shot you some great advice. I apologize for the previous harsh post but I just don’t have the patience at my age for people using things like adhd as a crutch. Heed the great advice offered by others and good luck!

I have 2 sons 1 will be 25 in March, the other one turned 19 last September, so they're about your age. The older one was majoring in Construction Management at KSU but hated sitting in a classroom. He hated school from the beginning because he is extremely smart and was never really challenged. He was diagnosed with ADHD but came off the meds in the 10th grade.

Older son quit college and went to work full-time with a construction company where he was an intern. Right now, he is the site superintendent on a large jobsite and loves what he does.

My younger son is extremely smart but is really laid back. He graduated last year and never had any intention of going to college. He works for an electrical contractor, running data and low-voltage wiring and fiber optic cabling. He loves his job.

All that said, think about learning a trade as mentioned before. You can go places and see things you may never see or do otherwise while making some good money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well damn, this is the first thing you’ve post that showed any balls... seems you’re headed in the right direction and really have a plan on what you want just not sure how to get it sorted out. Many on here have shot you some great advice. I apologize for the previous harsh post but I just don’t have the patience at my age for people using things like adhd as a crutch. Heed the great advice offered by others and good luck!
He’s not using ADHD as a crutch. He’s literally said 3 times he was rejected by a recruiter because of ADHD. That’s it.

It’s like migraines or dyslexia - unless you (or someone close to you) has it you don’t know how difficult it can be. It is very real and for some people very debilitating.

Bailen Bailen this is your life lesson - don’t come on here for good advice.

I don’t believe in destiny at all. We are the sum total of our choices and experiences in the past. So, while I have regrets, if I did anything different I may not have the wife an child I do now and I would not change that for the world. Having said that........

I did joint enrollment while in high school; was just a few credit hours shy of being a sophomore in college when I graduated high school. I wanted to go to law school, then got to know a few lawyers and changed my mind. Spend the next 8 (!) years dicking around in college because I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. I wasted a lot of my parents money, killed a lot of brain cells doing stupid ****, and lost what should have been good years being a waste.

I finally graduated and started working in a restaurant in Atlanta making good money (restaurant life is great if you’re young. I highly recommend everyone do it for at least 6 months). I loved the work and made a career out of that. The money was great, the company was good (don’t work for a lame ass company that doesn’t offer benefits. You’ll thank me when you retire at 50.) and I kept getting promoted at work. It was fun until it wasn’t.

After years of restaurant life I made a career change in my late 30’s to booze sales. It offered better hours and more time with my family. I found a passion for wine, became a sommelier, and love my job again.

Find something you enjoy. But something that pays the bills, too. Money can’t buy happiness but you can’t pay your rent with smiles and rainbows.

What do you like to do in life? What is your passion? What kind of work makes you happy? Sometimes it takes a while to find it but keep trying.

And, don’t be a mopey ass energy black hole. Enjoy whatever you do and do it to your fullest and best and you’ll be happier in general.

I’ve been where you are. I probably shouldn’t have wasted time in college and done all that liver damage, but I love my life now and get to have fun at work almost every day.
Tha
Wasnt really using it as a crutch. Simply explaining why I was declined by recruiters. Not once did I say that this was the cause of my problems. But I appreciate the input none the less. Thank you

like i tell the many younger people I have mentored "don't let life eat you, go eat life'. Now turn your device off, go to sleep. tomorrow you start probing every possibility out there. There's a whole world to examine and the worlds your oyster. Good Night. 8

Back
Top Bottom