• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lighter AR 10 Setups for Hunting

I would check out the DPMS G2 series. They have reduced the weight in them to be more like an AR-15. I bought a DPMS G2 Recon and it is stupid accurate and I believe they came out with five new models in the G2 series, but don't quote me on that. Seriously check em out you'd be surprised at what they did with them.
Ive got a g2 recon as well and its been great. with a ta11 acog and a vert grip or afg its perfect, their hunter model might be lighter and has a longer barrel i think. i wanted an all around battle & hunting rifle tho w the quadrail.

20170325_142247.jpg

Ive got a g2 recon as well and its been great. with a ta11 acog and a vert grip or afg its perfect, their hunter model might be lighter and has a longer barrel i think. i wanted an all around battle & hunting rifle tho w the quadrail.

View attachment 1202276
Just put it on my shipping scale. 11.2 lbs , has 9rnds of 168gr in it, and the surefire is not on it currently but everything else is that is pictured. supposedly 8.5lbs stock says this article.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/dpms-giig2-recon-308-review/

Better off getting a 300 blackout upper or go for the 458 socom if you a want lightweight hunting AR.

If you want a lightweight 308 AR, then your better off getting one with a 16" barrel & use a lightweight red dot sight or just use irons. But I wouldn't go any less than 18" on a 308 win.

I think my M&P 10 is lightweight enough for hunting, but I use irons. Could always use a Burris FastfireIII to keep the weight down.

I bought an Armalite and then went back to a piston LWRC Six8...

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-armalite-ar10-spr-mod-2a-308-16-updated.1469359/

Great rifle but the Six8 suits my needs the best...
I'm trying to trade \ cash out a couple of mine for either a six8 or a repr. Please tell the six8 is all what the hype says it is......soft shooting, reliable, and animals just come to die because you have the holy grail of hunting ar's.......

i was serious in the first sentence there. What do you think of your six8?

6.8 kicks a lot more than 223 and blackout, and a lot less than 308.

Right now I'm happy w 6.8 but If I were gonna get an AR10 I would look real close at the gen 2 dpms receiver. They say the gen2 dpms 308 receiver is smaller and lighter. I would prolly build it with a 22" 6.5 creedmoor barrel too.

IMG_2528.JPG
IMG_5557.JPG

I've had a couple of LWRC REPR's they have all shot sub moa but they are a little on the heavy side but I hunted with it last year with the bigger nightforce. Just got the larue 7.62 and haven't put the optic on it yet. I went with the 2.5x10x24 nightforce trying to keep light weight, can't wait to shoot this one!Last but not least the SCAR 17 is super light even with the nightforce and I have had sub moa out of a "battle" rifle! I will try to weigh them later.

I used a VX2 4-12x40 this year on 6.8 and worked great... 200 0 and down 9 at 300 so put cross hairs on top of back and the puts you in the middle. I have 4.5-18x44 on it now as it is just fun to shoot and easy to measure distance.

Back
Top Bottom