• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lightning link and other AR type questions

Tex06

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
9   0
Reaction score
From my understanding, owning a lightning link is alright as long as you don't own an AR platform as you couldn't use it for a FA firearm. Does this also apply to trigger parts (not whole groups...I believe those are registered as individual firearms). Basically I'm interested in the parts that psdiver102 has up for sale and I don't own an AR/M-16 and want to know if I can legally own them.

link: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?65759-M-16-parts-for-sale&highlight=round+burst

Is a piece of metal worth risking prison rape? The trigger parts are ok but I don't believe you can have a lightning link thats not already registered without going to the big house.

What could you possibly want something like that for without having other intentions? Without the gun its metal scraps at premium prices... With the gun your in jail... whats the point. I have some old can tabs I'll take $50 each if your interested in aluminum..

A lightning link is the same as a DIAS as far as the ATF is concerned: you can't make them nowadays, you can't buy any that were made after the 1986 cutoff date, and each one is serialized. For all intents and purposes it is a registered machinegun in and of itself. This applies to everyone, regardless of what they own firearms-wise.

As far as trigger parts are concerned, youre right in that owning a burst trigger pack is not illegal. The kicker is that the ATF has the say in what is considered "constructive intent." This has meant in the past that owning an AR15 (that is not registered as a machine gun) and also owning a burst trigger pack shows that you intend to assemble the two pieces together to form an unregistered machinegun. 10 years in federal "pound me in the ass" prison and $250,000 fine.

So, I guess you should ask yourself where the ATF might, in the future, decide "constructive intent" begins and ends? Today's standards are not tomorrows standards. The ATF could tomorrow declare that constructive intent in regards to owning a burst trigger pack also covers your coming into contact with an unregistered AR15, such as renting one from a range or shooting a friends gun. Maybe they will decide that previous AR15 ownership, or shopping around for AR15's while owning a burst FCG fulfills constructive intent. I really can't say, and neither can anyone else.

I guess what Im trying to say is, yes as far as I know just owning a burst FCG is legal. Still, I wouldnt own one. Do whatever your pocket book and your butthole can handle.

I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary, this post in no way construes legal advice, do anything at your own risk, yadda yadda yadda.

To Tex06- That "pounding in the ass", as JJ puts it so eloquently, sounds like it's worth it huh? Your a grown man, buy and own whatever you want. You either take the pounding or you don't. It reminds me of a movie I saw once called risky business. Sometimes you have to say, "what the f*ck", make your move."

What jsquared said. It is up to the BATFE to decide on the "intent." Not worth the risk IMO. Save up and get the real thing legally, or get a slidefire to blow some ammo and see if you like it enough to spend 10K on a DIAS or RR. When you get ready, check out http://www.subguns.com/ and http://www.sturmgewehr.com/

Tom Bowers of Bowers Groups owns subguns and is an awesome guy!

If you have a legal "lightning link" it will have a s/n that is registered the same way a "machine gun" is registered. This registration MUST be in your name if you posses the LL (or in the name of an LLC). If you have concerns, PM me for my address and then mail the LL to me for proper disposal. Then buy the proper trigger group parts, which are easily and legally obtainable. Go Tech!

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the info (well most of ya'll anyways). I guess my whole reasoning for asking should have been more clear....I'm not just wanting to bait the ATF for this. My grandfather is a machinegun dealer and has M-16s (pre- and post-'86, papered, etc) and I wanted to get him this for the one that doesn't have a 3 rd burst for Christmas (really easy gift for him). But since he lives in New Mexico, I would probably take it when I visit him around the holidays so it would have been in my possession for a few months, hence me asking.

Thanks again for the info esp. clearing up the Drop In Auto Sear and Lightning Link misunderstanding as I'm not an AR/M-16 platform guy.

Back
Top Bottom