• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

line type for trout fishing........

on the big rod my go to is 12 feet of fly line(approx 14# fluor) with 3-5# fluor tippet. in 3-5 foot length.
the little rods have about 7feet of 10#fluro and 2-3ft tippet 2.5-3 lb.
i've tried tippet rings from rio and moonlit but both cut the tippet. use davy knots everywhere.
of course I'm just fancy cane pole fishing (tenkara)lol
bluegill at the house and trout in coopers,rock and holly creek size places.
I did catch about a 21 inch gar Land between the Lakes. Boy, was that fun! It had the 14 foot rod folded over.

I guess it was just more fun when you went to Kmart, and a spool of line(what ever it was) put on your reel(typically backwards) and went to the river....too many choices today.....I'm just say'n
there are a lot of choices. Wife wanted to start fishing so she started digging thru my boxes (to put stuff in her new tackle box)and was like 'what's this for, whats this for etc. I guess there's even lots choices in my little tackle boxes.
My granny started me on a cane pole with worms dug out of her mulch pile. Didn't get any more simple than that. and Oh what fun it was , and still is.

Like I said, I fly fish predominantly. The only conventional equipment I use occasionally for trout is a super ultra light with 4#. Never had distance issues but to each their own. Never felt the need to hoss a poor little trout in with braid either.
Hoss them in with braid? I use 5# braid. Not a lot of "Hossing" going on. In fact, because braid does not stretch I play the fish even more delicately.

I don't go under 6 pound test. Braided is too light no matter what test.

I use stren, spiderwire, Berkley **** I don't care. It just needs to be fresh and ot stretched out or spool printed ( whatever yall call it where the line sits in spirals on top of the water) I don't worry about line color. I worry about hook color

I don't go under 6 pound test. Braided is too light no matter what test.

I use stren, spiderwire, Berkley **** I don't care. It just needs to be fresh and ot stretched out or spool printed ( whatever yall call it where the line sits in spirals on top of the water) I don't worry about line color. I worry about hook color
Memory.

Back
Top Bottom