• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

line type for trout fishing........

you guys actually have luck on those magnets?

i feel like im cheating when i use trout magnets lol. its been all i bring with me when i go to the mountains for the past few years. just find the right color jighead and body color and you will feel like your at a pay lake haha.

i feel like im cheating when i use trout magnets lol. its been all i bring with me when i go to the mountains for the past few years. just find the right color jighead and body color and you will feel like your at a pay lake haha.

what combos seem to work for you?
only 2 color jig heads ive seen gold/silver.
i wanna try those donkeytail jr's.

trout mag also has some kind of newer body out as well.

what combos seem to work for you?
only 2 color jig heads ive seen gold/silver.
i wanna try those donkeytail jr's.

trout mag also has some kind of newer body out as well.

gold jigheads seem to work the best. and as far as the body color.....it can be all over the place lol. pink is always a solid choice. the greens seem to work well also.

How do you fish them?

drift them with the current. always try to throw upstream and just let it drift down and past ya. if the waters slow i give it a few twitches, but in current i just let it do its own thing.

sometimes i add an extra splitshot or 2 about a foot or so above it if im in super fast water to help it get down to the fish.

WARNING: have a large supply of extra jigheads and bodies. you will snag them and loose them all the time lol.

gold jigheads seem to work the best. and as far as the body color.....it can be all over the place lol. pink is always a solid choice. the greens seem to work well also.

drift them with the current. always try to throw upstream and just let it drift down and past ya. if the waters slow i give it a few twitches, but in current i just let it do its own thing.

sometimes i add an extra splitshot or 2 about a foot or so above it if im in super fast water to help it get down to the fish.

WARNING: have a large supply of extra jigheads and bodies. you will snag them and loose them all the time lol.
So, not float, right?

So, not float, right?

that was my next question too. ive been watching a ton of videos on these. most guys DO seam to be using the floats
too. but our firend above doesnt. maybe its a confidence thing? maybe its a bigger waters technique?
as he stated, you eed to have a solid supply as you'll get hung up a lot. this is why i wanna use the floats.
some use those same floats to drift eggs as well.

on eggs, im using a #6 hook. its a little bigger but i dont gut hook as much. hardly at all any more actually.
but it does happen. ive looked for circle hooks this size but cant find them anywhere. i use those in the salt
and havent gut hooked since the switch from J hooks. wont ever go back either.

that was my next question too. ive been watching a ton of videos on these. most guys DO seam to be using the floats
too. but our firend above doesnt. maybe its a confidence thing? maybe its a bigger waters technique?
as he stated, you eed to have a solid supply as you'll get hung up a lot. this is why i wanna use the floats.
some use those same floats to drift eggs as well.

on eggs, im using a #6 hook. its a little bigger but i dont gut hook as much. hardly at all any more actually.
but it does happen. ive looked for circle hooks this size but cant find them anywhere. i use those in the salt
and havent gut hooked since the switch from J hooks. wont ever go back either.

part of the reason i love trout magnets, besides they work awesome lol, is that ive never gut hooked a fish with them. always in the mouth.

my drifting technique i always (when i can) cast upstream and as it comes back keep my slack reeled in just enough for it to bounce along the bottom and to feel the bites. rarely do my bites come when its downstream of me. and a good trout rod you can feel everything lol. love my lil' st croix.

Back
Top Bottom