• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Live map of the Coronavirus spread

I rike Chinese. Hard working people who revere their elders. I don’t do geo politics. The commoners are just trying to get by. The women in Chonching were fine as heck.

A disease needs a few things to be scary.

1. A long asymptomatic, contagious incubation period. This makes it very difficult if not impossible to contain. This virus has it. Jack nuts are walking around for 2 weeks feeling fine spreading this greebus to all around them.

2. A high r0. Pronounced r naught. It simply means how many people each infected person will infect. It is exponential. 2 to 4 to 16 and so on. If a disease has an average r0 of less than 1 than the disease will die out. Greater than 1 it will propagate. Due to the 2 week long asymptomatic, contagious incubation period, the length of time the virus takes to run its course (you are sick for a long time before you recover or die), and the lack of effective antivirals or a working vaccine for this family of corona virus this novel corona virus has an r0 higher than 1.

3. High mortality rate. At this time with just the stated numbers we have been given we are running at over 3% mortality rate which is higher than the spanish flu in 1918(?). Which killed millions of people. And we have modern medical care on our side.

Not saying we should panic or be overly concerned but if you aren't at least watching it to see if it becomes more concerning you are doing you and yours a disservice. I know if a bad disease was going around I'd like the ability to not leave my house for a while till things looked hopeful with treatment options. Just to be on the safe side. That being said I think the likelihood of this getting out of hand to where it is effecting the world at large in a significant way is pretty small. Hope it stays that way.

And btw, they are routing all Chinese people from that region and sick people through 5 airports of which ATL is one.

Back
Top Bottom