• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loading different 9mm 147gr projectiles

TheAreopagite

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
28   0
Reaction score
I've been thinking this over, and I think it might be best to pose these questions to you all and take advantage of the decades of reloading experience at ODT. I just purchased a metric ton of RMR 147gr plated projectiles with a "round nose, flat point" which looks like a kind of hybrid of RN and FP projectiles (Left in pic). I have previously been reloading Berry's plated 147 round nose (Right in pic). Two questions:

1. The RMR projectile is .6080, .065 shorter than the Berry's (.6730). Should I just adjust my COAL from 1.115 to 1.050, which should (theoretically) seat the projectile at the same depth in both loads? My worry is if I seat the RMR longer, that fat ogive on the RMR bullet will cause misfeeds. So, should I seat at the same depth (by reducing COAL), seat long (1.115), or split the difference (around 1.100)?

2. The RMR bullets have a thicker plating, which I have heard it is better to start at the minimum FMJ load and only go about mid-way. Berry's suggests using cast numbers, since they use a thinner plate closer to a cast projectile. I am a little more sure about this one, to just start out at min FMJ and work up a little from there.

Thank's for your help guys!
IMG_7862.JPG

This is a great question, to which...you should pose this to the bullet manufacturer. Looking at the Ogive, they look similar and you would not be wrong to adjust the COL accordingly. However, I would caution never to go below 1.100 without some assurances from the manufacturer. I would seat it long and adjust downwards to 1.100, while reducing my powder grains. Once I seat them to 1.100 with less powder than when it was at 1.115. For Berry's, I prefer 1.125. Not that your 1.115 is too short (I'm sure you worked your powder up to get to where you wanted to be).

MY advice is as noted IF the same weight projectile then indeed the fatter projectile MUST have a larger profile
IF its the same length as the round point.
so load a dummy round up, find the weapon with the tightest chamber/ shortest leade and see at what OAL does the thing function and Plunk test with.
with a dummy round (no primer/no powder) you can safely reduce the OAL until it functions properly.
then begin a workup batch beginning at /near minimum loads and until you find a sweet spot or see pressure signs.

From what I've read and the 147gr I load, the shortest OAL is 1.130, one manual shows min oal at 1.142,
My 115gr I load around 1.130, be careful with pressure, look at several manuals, compare bullet types
N

This is a great question, to which...you should pose this to the bullet manufacturer. Looking at the Ogive, they look similar and you would not be wrong to adjust the COL accordingly. However, I would caution never to go below 1.100 without some assurances from the manufacturer. I would seat it long and adjust downwards to 1.100, while reducing my powder grains. Once I seat them to 1.100 with less powder than when it was at 1.115. For Berry's, I prefer 1.125. Not that your 1.115 is too short (I'm sure you worked your powder up to get to where you wanted to be).
I contacted RMR but I'm not holding my breath, since I'm sure they're scared of the liability. It sounds like my Berry's may have been shorter than needed, but I worked it up and kept it low. Next run I'll work them up longer, thanks for the advice.

MY advice is as noted IF the same weight projectile then indeed the fatter projectile MUST have a larger profile
IF its the same length as the round point.
so load a dummy round up, find the weapon with the tightest chamber/ shortest leade and see at what OAL does the thing function and Plunk test with.
with a dummy round (no primer/no powder) you can safely reduce the OAL until it functions properly.
then begin a workup batch beginning at /near minimum loads and until you find a sweet spot or see pressure signs.
The RMR is .065 shorter, so I know it has to be fatter at the ogive to get to the same weight. I fixed up a dummy as you suggested, tried it at 1.130 and it chambered in the two guns I use and test with. It was a pain to extract on a third that I just purchased (unfired), so I'm not sure if I'm ready to attribute it to length. Sharpie on the projectile didn't show engagement with the rifling, so I'm wondering if it's just a tighter chamber or something else.
From what I've read and the 147gr I load, the shortest OAL is 1.130, one manual shows min oal at 1.142,
My 115gr I load around 1.130, be careful with pressure, look at several manuals, compare bullet types
N
I always work up and test for pressure, and haven't noticed any with the Berry's so far. I have three manuals, only two of which have 147 data, and neither include a minimum OAL, so I appreciate the contribution. What manual has the minimum OAL? I'm also guessing 1.142 would be a round nose, since that would be the longest projectile, is that correct? In any case I'm definitely going to try to go longer, no less than 1.130 to start.

I ran across this on the Alliant web site. I does call for 147 FP
The col for the hollow points are a little longer.
Never loaded 147 but I used their data with other rounds and no problems. It would make cents to run it shorter due to the flat point, as long as the octave is the same, extra weight has to go somewhere, .356 or .357 ?
However check the data for yourself!!!!
I do run be-86 very good powder similar to unique and power pistol, but low flash. If I used titewad I would be more worried about pressure seating that low. Might want to seat around 1.105 or a shade longer
Just my thoughts
Pistols and Revolvers

9mm Luger
  • 147 FP
  • BE-86
  • Fed 100
www.alliantpowder.com_images_product_images_reloaders_guide_be_86_lg.jpg
Minimum OAL(inches). 1.08
Bbl Length r
Primer Fed 100
Powder BE-86
Charge Weight 4.7
grains)
Velocity. 999
(fps)

1.08 4 Fed 100 BE-86 4.7 999

I use Modern reloading manual (second edition) by Richard Lee, it has more info on plated bullets, more load data listed, I also like this Speer #13,
I like to use a slower powder with a heavier bullet, I am using v- 3n37 with 147gr bullets, they seem smoother shooting than the 115gr with 231 powder

Yup either reduce powder or increase the overall length, assuming the fp is less weight.
I use lead loads for plated, generally starting with a tad over minimum powder to mid level.

The COL will be shorter on the RMR, the seating depth within the case will be the same, or very close. The only variable will be weather or not your gun will feed this type of bullet. If it feeds hollow points, it should work fine. You may wish to adjust things after you load and test a few.

If you have been using published "normal" loads, use the same load data that you have been using with the BerryBullet.

and that's the real deal, the amount of space INSIDE the case.
Heck I have 115 grain all copper hollow points that are OAL at 1.160 I believe it is, course the projectile itself is about .750 If I remember right.

Back
Top Bottom