• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loaner gun?

I have a friend that made sure his wife had a loaded firearm before he went on a long trip. If there was an intruder, his instructions were for her to fire the gun in a safe direction (no way she'd hit the bg anyway), then throw the gun at the bg's head and tackle him. Hopefully someone would call the police after hearing the gunfire. Honestly, I think that's the best advice for someone that doesn't get any range time.

Anyway, for a gun to keep around as an extra I'd pick an Ithaca M37 16ga or 20ga. A 12ga can knock a person on their butt if they don't know what they're doing, I've seen it. Bottom eject on the Ithaca makes it ambidextrous. Barrel length on a shotgun makes it much easier to aim.

Another concern I just learned about... hearing loss. I think the 357mag is another good choice, but it would suck to have to fire off 6 rounds in a small space without hearing protection.
http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

I would not loan a gun, nor give a gun to, nor help anyone acquire a gun, that was not familiar with the safe operation of guns.

No more than I would loan my car to someone who doesn't know how to drive, or is not licensed to.

In either instance, if the tool is used improperly, or illegally, and property is damaged, or a person injured or killed, and it can be shown that I provided the tool, or assisted in its acquisition, I can be held civilly liable.

IMO, if you are going to provide a deadly weapon to someone, you should have some reasonable certainty that they known how, when, as well as when not, to use it.

YMMV.

I bought a cheap .380 just for my girlfriend to have something laying around the house. She has been to the range with me several times and now I feel pretty confident that if someone tried to rob/rape her she could send them to an early grave. I also let her shoot a .38 snubbie and she just didnt like it as much. As long as she has something that she is comfortable with then that works for me. ANY firearm is better than nothing, even if its not your favorite one. I really like my Glock but Id still take a hi-point over a baseball bat!

A Taurus .38 snub, loaned it to my mother until she got her own gun. It really doesn't get much simpler than a snub nose revolver.

Back
Top Bottom