• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Napa...the last hold out

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
They were the only local parts house around that still had competent employees. Not all of them were competent but a few in there had been doing it a long time and knew the parts and the lingo. I went in today just to grab an oil filter. Havent been in there in close to a year. Walked in and the whole store has been re-arranged, including the staff behind the counter. Walked up (only customer in there) and said I needed an oil filter for a 2013 Accord in clear english. She looked one up for a 2015. No big deal. I know its the same filter. Its also the same ole attitude that you expect from Auto zone or advance now days. Ive intentionally given them business the last 7 years to keep them around. Not any more. I'll wait for Rockauto to deliver or go to AZ and deal with the same bs for less money. I have a lot of memories of father son trips to Big A, Napa, etc making parts runs as a kid. Those guys had as much grease under their nails as you did when you walked in. Rant over...

They were the only local parts house around that still had competent employees. Not all of them were competent but a few in there had been doing it a long time and knew the parts and the lingo. I went in today just to grab an oil filter. Havent been in there in close to a year. Walked in and the whole store has been re-arranged, including the staff behind the counter. Walked up (only customer in there) and said I needed an oil filter for a 2013 Accord in clear english. She looked one up for a 2015. No big deal. I know its the same filter. Its also the same ole attitude that you expect from Auto zone or advance now days. Ive intentionally given them business the last 7 years to keep them around. Not any more. I'll wait for Rockauto to deliver or go to AZ and deal with the same bs for less money. I have a lot of memories of father son trips to Big A, Napa, etc making parts runs as a kid. Those guys had as much grease under their nails as you did when you walked in. Rant over...

They lost it for me when they started putting all of the shiny stuff in the front and what you need in the back. They used to be able to find any parts regardless of what it goes on using cross references. now if it doesn't show up on the screen it's a no go

My dad was an old school parts store counter man. Looked everything up in the book. Knew everyone by name. Those days are long gone. I order everything online and for filters and such Walmart is much cheaper. And I know what kind of service to expect there...zero!

Times are changing. I was explaining to an OReilly salesman, @ late 50's, that I needed a Pittman arm for a '90 Chevy pick up and wanted to know the differences between their nomenclature as listed in the O'Reilly system-regular and heavy duty models. To see if it effects the center link angle for alignment purposes, if there is a difference ? He said, "I have no idea what you are talking about, I don't know anything about working on cars".

Some of my fondest memories of AZ, Advance etc is repeating myself 3 times (year, make and model) and still walking out of the store with either the wrong part, a rebuilt part with stripped threads, or misboxed part. Ive had to make countless trips back to different stores over the years to return a part due to one form of a screw up or another on their end.

Sign of the times folks. It won't get any better from here. Pretty much the same in any business now. I'm 68 now. I've seen a lot of changes since I've been old enough to pay attention.

I try to avoid AZ like the plague. ****ty customer service and as a previous poster said as often as not you'll walk out with the wrong part.
We had a great little local parts store, old school counter man, knew what he was talking about and where to find it. He passed away last year and the store closed so now all we have are the chain stores and the nitwits that work there.

Use Rock Auto if you can wait, if you gotta have it now, purchase online at Advance Auto(15-20% O/L codes on website), P/U in 30 min., print, or have receipt on phone, verify part # at counter.

Back
Top Bottom