• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Napa...the last hold out

Ok you got the right filter and yet you are still unhappy. You haven't been in a year? Once upon a time customers were loyal. When you had to use a card catalog everyone wasn't in such a hurry and would stay off the phone long enough for you to look up parts. Twenty years ago it was easier an oil filter For a GM or Ford V8 fit for years now the oil filters don't spread out but a few years. Twenty years ago their were a few thousand line items and now there are hundreds of thousands. A customer who was content to wait until tomorrow or two days even if you don't have something in stock will order online. Customers expect you to be open all the time and wonder why parts stores can't find help. A good parts man wants to have a life. It's a whole new world. I'm glad I know longer work in a parts store.

It's way before my time - but I remember my dad showing me how to look up parts on microfiche!
Those make me motion sick. I used one to mix paint.

And I'm way before microfiche when you looked it up in a paper catalog that was 8' wide. Service was better and faster then.
There is something about opening that card rack and hearing that whop of 15 other books.

Ok you got the right filter and yet you are still unhappy. You haven't been in a year? Once upon a time customers were loyal. When you had to use a card catalog everyone wasn't in such a hurry and would stay off the phone long enough for you to look up parts. Twenty years ago it was easier an oil filter For a GM or Ford V8 fit for years now the oil filters don't spread out but a few years. Twenty years ago their were a few thousand line items and now there are hundreds of thousands. A customer who was content to wait until tomorrow or two days even if you don't have something in stock will order online. Customers expect you to be open all the time and wonder why parts stores can't find help. A good parts man wants to have a life. It's a whole new world. I'm glad I know longer work in a parts store.
Sure am. If I did my job the way she did hers today, I wouldnt have a job. Sound a little extreme? Not really. Thats why shes doing what she does though which is glaring at her 4" nails, daydreaming and greeting me in ebonics instead of focusing on the customer. What does the frequency in which I grace a store have to do with this? Its napa, not my grandmother. Loyal? Miss the part about intentionally supporting them for 7 years that Ive lived here?

And bear in mind, Im a retired part certified ASE mechanic that is proudly now just a weekend warrior. This is not my first parts store run. This rant is not from a first time experience. Just the first time from this particular store.

My store had a lookup ability on our POS. We didn’t have to talk to anyone. Such a Kool thing, we just put in the VIN and parts look up was a breeze. We just sent them their part number and if it was wrong, it’s your fault

Sure am. If I did my job the way she did hers today, I wouldnt have a job. Sound a little extreme? Not really. Thats why shes doing what she does though which is glaring at her 4" nails, daydreaming and greeting me in ebonics instead of focusing on the customer. What does the frequency in which I grace a store have to do with this? Its napa, not my grandmother. Loyal? Miss the part about intentionally supporting them for 7 years that Ive lived here?

And bear in mind, Im a retired partially cert ASE mechanic that is proudly now just a weekend warrior. This is not my first parts store run. This rant is not from a first time experience. Just the first time from this particular store.

I understand. The days of the old parts guy is in the past. There are many factors and unfortunately its only going to get worse. Any decent parts guy can find a job making more money with better hours elsewhere.

Readers Digest version of my favorite Advance story.

Stop and buy a transmission service kit, which is a gasket and a filter.

No lift, jack vehicle up, crawl under the tranny, remove by hand the 120 screws holding the pan on, remove it, take out the filter. It's not even close to being the same one sold by Advance.

Me, now soaked in trans. fluid, take the old nast filter and the new shiny one back to Advance, show the peter head behind that counter that they are not even close to being the same thing.

So of course, he punches it up on the computer, "that't the number we have for that transmission (Ford truck, not really rare)"

Me -"well could you look around and just see if you have filter that looks like this."

"No we have to go by what the computer says."

o.k. I admit that at this point I am no longer civil. It's late, the trans. on my car is torn apart, I'm dirty and tired, I am not happy.

So me, "give me my money back."

"Can't do that, the box is soiled we can't put it back into stock."

Me, loud enough for every one in the store to hear, "you thieving sacks of manure precursor, give me my money back or call the police."

They gave me my money back, drove down the street to Auto Zone and had the correct filter in 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom