• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long Guns in state parks while camping

November Sierra

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
188   0
Reaction score
I can't seem to find anything that's cut and dried about having long guns on a camp site here in Georgia.
Anyone who may know, what's the verdict? I plan on camping this weekend in a state park and want to know if it's going to be lawful to bring my FAL with me and have it within arm's reach.

Any info would be great, thanks.

If you are at a state park you are probably car camping, correct? Just keep it in your vehicle and have your carry pistol to get you to it. Thats what I do. Dont know the laws though. Anybody sitting at a campsite surrounded by families camping and having a FAL next to him is probably going to attract attention.

I got fined about 30 years ago for having an AR with a mag in it. No round in chamber, but a full mag in the well.

It was one of the National Parks, not a state. Rifle was in the rifle rack in the back window of truck.

Ranger said if it was unloaded, IE, no mag in well, that no ticket issued.

My buddies 30-30 also ticketed for having 5 rounds in the tube.

State law
Weapons in Ga. parks,

Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:

• Red Top Mountain
  • Seminole
  • George T. Bagby
  • Don Carter
  • Florence Marina
  • Tugaloo
  • Hart
  • Bobby Brown
  • Richard B. Russell
  • Elijah Clark
  • Mistletoe

If you are at a state park you are probably car camping, correct? Just keep it in your vehicle and have your carry pistol to get you to it. Thats what I do. Dont know the laws though. Anybody sitting at a campsite surrounded by families camping and having a FAL next to him is probably going to attract attention.
Normally I'd agree but this isn't some camp site on lake Blue Ridge. I'll be about 40 minutes down a trail in Helen and might need more than a pistol if Yogi decides to get frisky

State law
Weapons in Ga. parks,

Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:

• Red Top Mountain
  • Seminole
  • George T. Bagby
  • Don Carter
  • Florence Marina
  • Tugaloo
  • Hart
  • Bobby Brown
  • Richard B. Russell
  • Elijah Clark
  • Mistletoe
So I can leave my rifle loaded and chambered with my GWCL is what that says, right?

Normally I'd agree but this isn't some camp site on lake Blue Ridge. I'll be about 40 minutes down a trail in Helen and might need more than a pistol if Yogi decides to get frisky

Sounds like you will be in National Forest, not in a state park.

National Forest rules track state law. That excepts WMA which have their own rules. So anything you could legally carry outside a national forest, you can legally carry in a national forest.

Back
Top Bottom