• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long Guns in state parks while camping

Normally I'd agree but this isn't some camp site on lake Blue Ridge. I'll be about 40 minutes down a trail in Helen and might need more than a pistol if Yogi decides to get frisky

I was camping at rabuns gap years ago in a hammock with 3 dogs and friends. I woke up in the morning by the dogs (whose leashes were secured to my hammock tie) barking their heads off. Looked over and there was a mama black bear 15 ft away with 3 cubs checking out our camp. We made a bunch of noise and they all sniffed around completely unconcerned and then ambled off. After breakfast we put up all the food (we thought) and went fishing. Came back and my pack was nowhere to be seen and there were noises coming from up the hill. Noises died down and I went, carefully, to investigate. I had forgotten about my peanut butter metrix bars in the outside pocket of my pack. The bear had breakfast and I had a cheap pack with perfect bear claw rips in the pocket I kept as a novelty for years. I was never threatened as they were unconcerned about me and just hungry. I doubt I would have shot a mama bear with cubs unless the situation became drastically me or her but it would have made me feel more comfortable to have a firearm. Black bears arent so big or dangerous. They typically wont bother you. Much different from grizzlies, kodiaks, and polar. Id feel comfortable at close range with a .357 or .44 mag. Put your food in a tree and keep a clean camp and you'll be fine. I carry a pistol more for coyotes after my dog and I keep some snake shot as Im usually near water.

Normally I'd agree but this isn't some camp site on lake Blue Ridge. I'll be about 40 minutes down a trail in Helen and might need more than a pistol if Yogi decides to get frisky

Can't find a link for the place on my phone, but sounds like a place I camped at many years back. If so is a great camping site with even better trout fishing. Enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom