• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range glass

crash_6906

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
121   0
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm trying to set up a gun for some long range shooting, I'm gonna end up going with either a 6.5 creedmore or a 6mm creedmore in a ruger precision rifle. I'm wanting this to be a 1000 yard gun and other than trying some shots at 600 yards, this will be my first attempt at long range lead slinging. I've been sold on the vortex 6-24 x 50 hs-lr ffp scope. But I just read a lot of reviews that sightron is better. I also read that the higher magnification is a big no no. I've got a discount on the vortex for $630 until Sunday, so obviously at that price I'm thinking of going ahead and getting it at that price. And I'm on a serious budget, so nightforce,Leupold and all those are out. Let me know what you guys with experience think please.

Athlon optics
I have had and still have some Vortex optics. Athlons glass is better at the same price point, until you go into the Gen 2 PST's
Same warranty, transferable, and I like the reticles better.

Well, beyond a certain magnification all you're doing to magnifying the shimmer (mirage). And there's lots and lots of it starting about 500 yards. I wouldn't worry about having more than 20X if you're shooting at standard targets. You might could put more magnification to good use under certain conditions, hunting or whatever, but 20X will generally not leave you lacking. Those 32 and 40X scopes are mostly used by benchrest guys who need to see fractions of a millimeter at 100 yards. From what I see, anyway.

No idea about Sightron vs. Vortex.

Weaver also makes great tactical scopes, under $1K. They just haven't penetrated the market very effectively. But it's very good glass.

If those new Nightforce scopes are out, you might want to rule them out first. I think they were to be around $1K. Same glass and mechanics, just not built tough enough to drive nails. So they're also a heck of a lot lighter than the NXS for example.

Do not skimp on the scope and rings. No matter what else, do not skimp there.

Weaver also makes great tactical scopes, under $1K. They just haven't penetrated the market very effectively. But it's very good glass.

If those new Nightforce scopes are out, you might want to rule them out first. I think they were to be around $1K. Same glass and mechanics, just not built tough enough to drive nails. So they're also a heck of a lot lighter than the NXS for example.

Do not skimp on the scope and rings. No matter what else, do not skimp there.

Yeah nightforce is out. I've got a budget and they're way out of it lol. I just don't think I'm gonna be able to find anything to compete with vortex at a price of 630

Glass quality will trump magnification at long range. Next question should be the intended use of the scope. Are you doing F, Bench or tactical. 16-20 MAX will get you to 1k no problem but you might need lower mags to shoot closer. If 1k is it. Sightron s3 up to 40x would be excellent. Otherwise a more usable mag range would be optimal. I shoot a swfa 5-20 hd which can be had for $1k at times. Plenty of top end, accurate turrets good enough glass to see what I'm doing.

Yup, what he said. High magnification means smaller field of view, and it's all a blowing around blur anyway, most of the time. The art is identifying where the bullseye is, relative to the mirage.

If you've never done this, you have no idea what I'm talking about. But you'll instantly understand the first time you spy a target at 1000-- even under good conditions. You cannot stabilize the damned X, because it's moving all around. On a good day!

Human eyes cannot see the mirage-- we can't resolve it. Get up above 10X, and the world at distance looks very different. You shall see.

But he's right-- pay for optical quality, not magnification, (and elaborating) not FFP, illlumination, or other what-have-you features. Optical quality is king. Ask any amateur astronomer, and listen to them.

And if it's not obvious, you need good repeatable turrets, too. Without them, well, there's no point in further discussion. You must have them, and good optical quality.

And a 20 MOA base, based on your caliber choices described above. If you want to get out to a mile... 40 MOA minimum. Though those calibers are sub-optimum for that.

Back
Top Bottom