• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range rifle

No reason why that rifle ain't capable of shots a helluva lot further than 300yds. As a hunting rifle, it oughta do everything you want it to do. It's amazing what can be done nowadays, accuracy-wise, with an inexpensive off-the-shelf rifle.

I had a Mossberg MVP Patrol 7.62 for a while. It was a good shooting rifle. My daughter has the MVP Varmint 5.56 with the laminate stock and heavy, fluted barrel. When she was 10YOA she was ringing steel at 800yds with it.

As to your Mossberg Patriot, if you want to use it as a range toy, where you're putting down quite a few rounds in a day, or for a long range training course, it would not be the your best option. That skinny hunting-weight barrel will heat up fast, causing shot dispersion. I've had students run similar setups, and I end up making them take breaks to allow their barrel to cool down when accuracy starts to go wonky. Other students end up putting a lot more rounds down range because they don't have to stop. Also, the relatively lightweight of the rifle will start to make itself felt in the form of recoil.
there is no doubt that it's a great hunting rifle, I'll probably end up buying a different rifle and scope for steel ringing. according to my ballistics book and LRBC, in ideal conditions, I should be able to touch about 530 yards before I have to start making vertical adjustments on the turret, that of course is on a calm day. I've been doing research and reading on distance shooting recently but have no experience and I know there is difference between experience and book knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom